Tri-Cities Prep defeated Friday Harbor 55-24 in the 2018 Class 2B Girls Basketball State Regional Tournament Saturday, Feb. 24 at Chiawana High School in Pasco. The Wolverines (11-12) finished their season among the 16 best 2B teams and the Jaguars (18-5) earned their first trip to the Hardwood Classic in Spokane.
Freshman standout guard Talia von Oelhoffen paced TCP with a game-leading 19 points.
“We played pretty good defense on her — she’s just good — but the others on her team hit their shots,” said Friday Harbor coach Fred Woods.
Makenna Brandner contributed 12 points and Emily Dickson scored 10 for Tri-Cities Prep.
The Wolverines’s scorers were: Bailee Lambright 7, Savannah Hoffman 6, Kiana Woods 4, Ava Hoffman 4 and Leah Black 3.
“We just struggled offensively,” Woods said. “We just didn’t have the (shooting) percentage to be competitive.”
Though he’d hoped his team would have advanced to the top-12 field, Woods was pleased with the Wolverines’ efforts this season.
“We went farther than people expected, played a tough non-conference schedule and had a win streak at the end of the season,” Woods said. “In the end, I can’t take anything away from them. These girls worked really hard to get where they are.”
Woods is particularly pleased with his seniors — his daughter Kiana and Savannah Hoffman — and their leadership.
“They did everything all year long that we asked.”
He credits the pair for helping “change the culture” of the Wolverine girls basketball program, which reached the regionals the past four consecutive seasons. “The girls are on the verge of breaking through,” the coach said.
Though he’s excited about the Wolverines’ foundation for the future, Woods — as a father and coach — hoped for more for his seniors. “I’ve been working with those two kids since they were in 5th grade in Swish League and I really wish Kiana and Savannah could have experienced Spokane.”
- Wolverine girls season ends at regionals
- State basketball tournament: Friday Harbor boys vs. Oroville, girls vs. Tri-Cities Prep
- Friday Harbor girls place second in Bi-District
- Wolverine girls overpower Seattle Lutheran, clinch state regional berth
- Wolverines ready for playoffs
- Dec. 2: Wilson beats Friday Harbor girls basketball (PHOTOS)
- Dec. 15: Hurricanes beat Wolverines girls - SLIDESHOW
- Jan. 26: Braves beat Wolverines girls - SLIDESHOW
- Jan. 19: Wolverine girls basketball beat Darrington - SLIDESHOW
- Wolverine girls basketball team by the numbers and links to slideshows
- Wolverine girls basketball beat Lions 50-15
- Wolverine girls upend Vikings in overtime, lock up District’s No. 2 seed
- Friday Harbor girls rally, top Orcas Island with buzzer-beater - Slideshow added