During the public comment period at the December 19 San Juan County Public Hospital District #1 meeting, a citizen said the state Department of Health has opened two investigations into complaints filed against San Juan Island EMS Chief Jerry Martin. This came as a surprise to three of the PHD commissioners - Dr. Warren Appleton, Dr. Mark Schwinge and Anna Lisa Lindstrum. They had not been informed of the investigations.
Board Chair Dr. Michael Edwards said Martin had given him a copy of the notice Martin had received in November from DOH. Edwards told the commissioners there was nothing to be done at this time so he didn't share the information with the rest of the board.
Commissioner Rebecca Smith said she knew about it.
Dr. Appleton and Lindstrum were upset that they were kept in the dark. Appleton asked if the PHD's insurer had been informed.
Chief Martin said he had contacted his attorney.
San Juan Islander will have a more in depth article about the December 19 meeting after the holidays.
- San Juan Island PHD to hold special meeting Feb. 5
- San Juan Island EMS Chief Martin submits resignation
- Taxpayers footing the legal bill because PHD won't ask EMS Chief for documentation
- Kuetzing chosen to be interim San Juan Island EMS Chief
- State investigating allegation of incompetence, negligence, or malpractice against San Juan Island EMS Chief
- 2 of 5 PHD Commissioners concerned about Chief Martin's intubation skills
- 2 more paid EMTs, 6-month severance for chief included in San Juan Island EMS budget
- Oct. 24: San Juan Island PHD to review report on investigation about a November 2017 EMS run
- PHD to spend $4k to investigate care given by EMS on one run
- Something amiss at SJ EMS - Updated with info from Dr. Sullivan
Miles Crossen Saturday, 22 December 2018 16:17 Comment Link
Hey Doc (I'm mean Dr. Mark Fishaut, MD FAAP) what does that Latin term mean in this case?? Then, in Cartagena.... Not sure exactly how that applies to alleged incompetence in the medical field? Did I make an error in my translation? I'm just a Coast Guard Radioman in Charge, and a former spot news reporter and photographer. What did I miss here?Report