In an unanimous vote, the San Juan County Public Hospital District #1 Board of Commissioners chose Karl Kuetzing to be the interim EMS Chief. The current chief, Jerry Martin, has not announced his resignation but is expected to retire sometime in 2019. Martin will receive a severance of six months salary when he leaves.
(Left to right): Karl Kuetzing, Miklos Preysz, and Kyle Davies were interviewed for the position of interim San Juan EMS Chief.
The commissioners spent three hours in executive session interviewing three of the district's employees - Kuetzing, Miklos Preysz and Kyle Davies.
All of the commissioners agreed the decision was difficult as all three were very well qualifed. Commissioner Dr. Mark Schwinge said, "This was a gut-wrenching decision."
- San Juan Island PHD to hold special meeting Feb. 5
- San Juan Island EMS Chief Martin submits resignation
- Taxpayers footing the legal bill because PHD won't ask EMS Chief for documentation
- State investigating allegation of incompetence, negligence, or malpractice against San Juan Island EMS Chief
- 2 complaints against San Juan Island EMS Chief Martin filed at DOH
- 2 of 5 PHD Commissioners concerned about Chief Martin's intubation skills
- 2 more paid EMTs, 6-month severance for chief included in San Juan Island EMS budget
- Oct. 24: San Juan Island PHD to review report on investigation about a November 2017 EMS run
- PHD to spend $4k to investigate care given by EMS on one run
- Something amiss at SJ EMS - Updated with info from Dr. Sullivan