This list was updated March 28, 2020. This page has updates on businesses and organizations in the San Juan Islands - Friday Harbor, Eastsound and Lopez - and how they are dealing with the COVID 19 crisis. I've moved the restaurant listings to a separate page. If you'd like your business/organization info added please email firstname.lastname@example.org If you'd like your business info added please email email@example.com
The Palace Movie Theater in Friday Harbor is closed but is sending a positive message.
Inter Island Propane is considered an essential Utility Business and as per Governor Inslees " Stay at Home" order we WILL be delivering propane throughout the Islands without interruption. Our main office will be closed to the public and we ask our customers to leave payments or correspondence in the drop box under entry stairs. During business hours, our customer service team will be there to answer all customer calls. After hours and weekend calls will be answered by our 24 hour call center. We thank you for your continued business and will work with our community members and leaders to provide Propane services through these challenging times. Daily updates can be found at www.interislandpropane.com
Islanders Bank Lobbies Effective Monday, March 16, 2020 Islanders Bank’s lobby will be closed until further notice. Please conduct your banking transactions through our drive-up window.
Mobile & Online Banking are available to our customers, if you have not yet established these banking methods, please call us or visit our website: www.Islandersbank.com. Be ready to provide your Security Code over the phone. READ MORE
Kenmore Air In keeping with the community’s best interest, Kenmore Air has decided to suspend scheduled service through April 30 at the earliest. Private charters can be booked from any of our terminals and from private docks. In the event that your flight has been canceled or changed and you’re unable to travel via charter, you are welcome to reschedule to a new travel date or receive a fully transferrable booking credit for future travel. Please give us a call at 866-435-9524 or reach out via email: firstname.lastname@example.org We have been serving the Pacific Northwest for 74 years and look forward to another 74 years.
OPALCO has canceled the annual members meeting. The election of the board will still happen. OPALCO has closed its offices to the public. Customers can use SmartHub. All business services are available by telephone and online.
“We are open for business,” said General Manger Foster Hildreth. “We have a responsibility to protect our staff so that they can keep the lights on for the membership. We’re doing our part to keep essential infrastructure running and our membership safe as we wait out this pandemic.” Read more here.
Pintail - As the Pintail is considered an essential service we will continue to operate as normal during the shelter in place announcement. We regularly run between Anacortes and the islands so if you have any hauling needs or want to get creative about transportation please give us a shout. 360.317.8532
SAFE in the San Juans Life radically changed in the last month, and no one was left untouched by the effects of the Coronavirus. Along with our neighbors and friends, the staff members and clients of SAFE San Juans have been radically impacted. SAFE San Juans is a community-based nonprofit agency serving San Juan County residents and visitors who have experienced domestic violence or sexual abuse. We are continuing to provide all of our services while paying close attention to San Juan County Health Department guidelines. In order to maintain appropriate working distances, we are limiting the number of clients in each office to one at a time and maximizing our use of phone and video interaction. Please call for an appointment if you would like to receive services.
Friday Harbor: 360-378-8680
Lopez Village: 360-468-3788.
San Juan County Clerk- In an effort to contain the spread of Covid-19 and protect staff and the public, I feel it is necessary to suspend Passport Processing at this time. I anticipate resuming processing by April 27, 2020 subject to further extension or earlier resumption of the service depending on these fast evolving circumstances. - San Juan County Clerk Lisa Henderson
San Juan Preservation Trust is canceling all public events and in-person meetings through the month of April, with the tentative exception of a few small volunteer work parties, which we are evaluating on a case-by-case basis. READ MORE...
Washington State University San Juan County Extension Office is closed to the public as of Monday. WSU has made a state-wide policy decision to close Extension offices to the public as part of the response to COVID 19. We are NOT closed for business. Staff are working remotely and in the office as schedules allow.
SAN JUAN ISLAND
Brandli Law Office has posted its Coronavirus Policy We at Brandli Law feel a sense of duty to our clients and to the community as a whole to act responsibly in response to the outbreak of COVID-19, also known as the Novel Coronavirus. We are implementing the following policies. These policies are designed to prevent Brandli Law from being a source of virus transmission, and recognize the current belief that much of the virus transmission occurs among persons not yet showing symptoms. Read the policy here.
Computer San Juans: Tom says: Due to the Covid Virus upon us, I am suspending making any house calls for computer work until further notice. I can offer remote repair services in its place. Home school children dependent on computers are free repair except parts until further notice.
For all others, I am scaling prices effective immediately for repair work. I believe it is important to keep our social distances which means we are depending on our computers totally. I am here to help keep the tool we all need for education, business, work and social contact in your hands. I am setting up an isolated area outside my home to provide a safe work area to do that. I urge you to contact your ISP to voluntarily increase bandwidth where necessary and at no cost to alleviate potential bottle necks that will occur if they don’t. During our time of social distance, we can’t afford a disconnect. I will do my part.
Friday Harbor Thrift House closed for the time being.
Friends of the San Juans office will be closed for the next six weeks. If you would like to get in touch with any of us, please visit www.sanjuans.org/staff where you can find our email and office numbers.
Griffin Bay Bookstore has temporarily closed Griffin Bay Bookstore and Café to in-store shopping, events, and meetings until further notice. Book orders can be made through the website and by email or by phone. We encourage you to support us by ordering books, films, and music CDs from us via telephone, email, or our website. You may also e-mail: email@example.com or leave a message on our phone, 360-378-5511.
Island Home Finishes/Sears Hometown is two stores in one. Island Home Finishes sells cabinets, flooring, tile and water heaters. Sears Hometown sells appliances and mattresses. We are staying open for business, taking it one day at a time. We are continuously cleaning surfaces, and keeping our hands clean. Customers are still welcome to come in, we just ask that we practice social distancing as well as no hand shaking.
We can take orders over the phone, and as of now are still delivering and installing appliances. Our delivery crew will wear face masks and gloves while in your home. Doing what we can to keep everyone healthy. We understand that the unexpected happens, and things break. We are here to serve the community until it becomes apparent that we cannot. Customers can check out our websites @ searshometownstores.com, sears.com and islandhomefinishes.com. We can be reached at 360-370-5346 and 360-317-1215. Open M-F 8a-6p Sat. 9a-6p and closed Sundays.
Islanders Insurance We are taking precautions to protect our clients and employees. We will not be available for walk-in contact or face to face appointments. We are available to assist via e-mail or phone during our regular office hours 8:30am- 5:00pm Closed for lunch 12 noon to 1 p.m.. If you need to physically drop off payment or documents, there is a mail slot on our front door. Please take care and stay well. –Gigi, Ian, Lisa, Jodi L, Jodi R & Vanessa (360)378-2195 firstname.lastname@example.org
San Juan Island Park & Recreation District board of commissioners has decided to cancel all Island Rec programming until further notice, effective immediately.
King's Market on Saturday, March 14, 2020 Photo by Sharon Kivisto
- We ask that anyone who has symptoms of being ill to stay away from the store.
- Please only bring a necessary number of people with you to shop. This will keep the congestion down a bit.
- Please bag your own reusable bags or use our bags. We love reusable bags but this is a new health recommendation to ensure bags aren’t bringing in unwanted germs.
- We have installed hand-washing stations, please use these when you come into the store, and any other time you feel it is necessary. When in doubt, please wash.
- Whenever possible, please keep a minimum of six feet apart from the nearest individual.
We have initiated a couple of measures to specifically help the 65 and over and other high-risk individuals:
- Pick up service at Kings for 65+ and high risk individuals . You order your groceries online and they will be delivered to your car at Kings.
- Shopping time just for 65+ and high-risk customers at Marketplace – Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8-10am
At the same time we are working persistently with our suppliers and alternative suppliers to keep the stores as stocked as possible. The stores have not been up to our quality standards but we are optimistic that we have seen the worst and it will be gradually improving over the weeks to come.
Together we will get through this. Thank you for your reasonableness and kindness during these unusual and trying times.
Lemon Computers: Our office is open for our usual hours: 9am – 1:30pm, Mon-Fri. John is available from 11 am to 1:30 pm. If on-site repairs are necessary, we are still scheduling site visits. Please give us a call to talk about the best plan. We are ready to help and will accommodate you as best as we can. We are following CDC guidelines for social distancing, handwashing, and disinfecting high-touch surfaces. 360-378-1144 email@example.com 849 Spring St, Unit C-2 (down next to The Tailor Shop)
M and W Auto in Friday Harbor: We are disinfecting cars before and after each rental and test drives. We would still love and need your business. Also all surfaces in the office and restroom are being sanitized multiple times a day. If you prefer not to get out off your car, pull up by the office door or window, and I will run out to answer questions. We will remain open from 10 am to 4 pm Monday to Saturday and from 10 am to 1 pm on Sunday as long as we are healthy. Remember fun has not been canceled - Wendy
Mystical Mermaid Brian and I decided to temporarily close the doors to The Mystical Mermaid. This has been a difficult decision but it is with the best interest of our community, our friends, and our family that we close. We hope this uncertain time will soon be a thing of the past. If you find yourself needing something you are still able to shop our online store here: http://www.mysticalmermaidstore.com/ During these troubling times we are offering an additional 15% off with the code: MystMer15
On Site Glass Solutions & More- has switched to being an all-mobile service company. They were located at 301 Tucker Ave in Friday Harbor, for the past three years. They are available for all of your glass needs - residential, commercial, auto, shower doors and more. Office: 360-298-7677; Mobile: 253-202-7140
PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center in order to protect its patients, their loved ones and its caregivers during the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center is strategically and rigorously restricting the number of people who enter the doors of its facility. Effective March 17, no visitors will be allowed to enter the medical center until further notification. Special exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis. Loved ones are encouraged to connect with hospitalized patients using smart phone applications, such as FaceTime, WhatsApp, or Skype, during this period of limited face-to-face support. Visit peacehealth.org/coronavirus to read the latest news at PeaceHealth, as well as helpful education and prevention resources related to COVID-19.
Safe Harbor Insurance will continue to serve our clients by phone and email during our normal business hours from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Our office is currently closed to visitors, but anyone needing to drop off a payment can do so using the drop box at our front door. We encourage you to check our website, www.getsafeharbor.com, for regular updates and other helpful resources. Phone: (360) 378-2949 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Be well! Leo, Becky, Juan, Tanasha, Caitlin, Fernanda and Sammi
San Juan Island Distillery We are open Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. for sales only. We have a small supply of 80% alcohol that we will give away to people with their own containers and we are working to make hand sanitizer. Please come and buy our spirits so we can keep our worker employed. Our store is open Saturday and Sunday from 1 to 4 and it is outside so nobody needs to get close.
San Juan Emergency Medical Services and Public Hospital District will be closing to the public in keeping with similar closures across the county and region due to COVID-19. This is a safety precaution. Both offices are still otherwise operating and have no cases of COVID-19. All EMS outreach classes are canceled for the time being. The American Heart Association is offering a 60-day extension on all CPR cards, effective March 13, 2020. READ MORE
San Juan Island Fire and Rescue - As a precaution during the COVID-19 outbreak, all San Juan Island Fire and Rescue Stations, including the main fire station at 1011 Mullis Street in Friday Harbor are temporarily closed to the public. San Juan Island Fire and Rescue continues emergency response from all stations.
All public meetings in our facilities, including use of the main station by the Department of Licensing, are cancelled during this time. READ MORE
San Juan Island Fitness Closed until at least March 31
San Juan Island Grange #966 in Friday Harbor. In light of the corona virus situation, San Juan Island Grange #966 has decided to close its Hall through the end of March and concentrate on two improvement projects - replacement of the street side foundation and community kitchen remodel. Before the end of the month the Grange will assess the situation and decide about programs scheduled in April. Renters who have reserved the Hall for events in April are encouraged to contact Roger Ellison, Hall Rental Agent, at email@example.com or (360) 378-6632, to review the status of their rentals. We are in touch with Brendan Cowan, San Juan County Department of Emergency Management, as to how the Grange may assist. Be prepared and stay healthy - Boyd
Tif & Gif Creative We're here to help! If you need to take your business or business needs online, we can help! Need help updating or enhancing existing websites, Social Media management, or graphic design, we can help!
We've been in business here in Friday Harbor for over 18 years and we're all in this together.
If we can be of assistance give us a call: 360-472-0325 or Chris@TifandGif.com
Nifty Thrifty on Orcas Island: Nifty Thrifty takes your well being very seriously. All of us are concerned about the coronavirus. We are working diligently to sanitize our nifty thrifty and want to keep it virus-free. We ask you to join us in taking these actions: Upon entering the shop please spray your hands with the complimentary hand sanitizer provided – and also spray when you exit. Several times a day we sanitize the door knobs and many other objects. We will ask your permission to sign your name on our Ipad for credit card purchases. Understand that if you have a cough, sneezes or fever, we may ask you to leave the shop. At the end of every day we will be thoroughly spraying the shop with Four Thieves.
Orcas Artworks in Olga is closing until the end of March at least. They want to protect their staff and customers during the virus epidemic.
Orcas Island Library will be open from 12 noon to 3 pm on Sunday, March 15 and then will be closed through Tuesday, March 31, or until further notice.
Orcas Island Chamber Music Festival Monique Mead’s employer, Carnegie Mellon University, is asking all instructors to avoid travel.This means we have to postpone her three events, the March 17 Strings Workshop and Concert and the March 18 Yoga & Live Music.
Orcas Island School District is closing Monday, March 15.
Orcas Island Historical Museums are closed until further notice.
Orcas Senior Center Nonprofit will be closed starting Monday, March 16. All programs and activities will be suspended until further notice. San Juan County offices and April’s Grove will remain open. Community lunches have been suspended, however, home delivered meals are available to all seniors that need them. Please call San Juan County Senior Service Specialist, Jami Mitchell at 360.376-7926 for more information.
Lions Club mobility equipment returns and lending are available by appointment only. Please call Stephen Bentley at 360.376.2299.
For further information and assistance, please call the Front Desk at 360.376.2677. PRESS RELEASE HERE
Rays Pharmacy in Eastsound would like to inform the public that we will be open for business with our normal business hours and with no plans to change or close the store. Monday-Friday from 9:30 am to 6 p.m. (RX department closed from 1 pm to 1:30 pm for lunch) Saturday from 9:30 am to 6 p.m (RX department is open from 10 to 4 pm with the same above mention closure for lunch) Sunday from 10:30 am to 4 p.m. (RX department closed)
Our staff will follow safe practices, clean the store as often as possible and continue to provide the best customer service possible. Ray’s has invested in extra supplies of medication, anti-biotics and other products to ensure that we can serve our community. We still are still short on products like hand sanitizer, but will continue to work with vendors to find products for our customers.
If a customer does not feel comfortable entering the store or is sick, our staff will bring medications out to the parking lot. Please alert the Pharmacy staff at time of drop off or call 360-376-2230 ex1 for pharmacy or 2 for the front desk.
If you are too sick to leave your house, please email or call the numbers listed above and we will work to find a solution to have your medication and supplies delivered to your home.
Please follow these simple steps:
Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds as often as possible
Use an alcohol based hand sanitizer when possible
Practice Social distancing and keep six feet separation
Avoid crowds of 10+ people
Stay home if you’re sick
Check on your neighbors
For the most accurate and timely information, please visit the San Juan County website. https://www.sanjuanco.com/1668/2019-Novel-Coronavirus
Please consider spending time in town and supporting local business, if you’d rather stay home consider a gift certificate over the phone or online. We will all weather this storm together, as we Islanders always do, but we need to pitch in and help each other out. Thank you to the Orcas community for supporting Ray’s for all these years. - Marlace and Rick Hughes
Salish Sea Early Music Festival performances on Orcas Island on March 22 and April 5 are postponed.
Blossom Grocery Check HERE for Updated Hours
Downdog Studio - closed
Gallery 10 - closed
Island Marine Center Our Napa and Marine front store will be open to call in ordering and will be offering door pick up Tuesday- Saturday from 8am-4:30pm If you have any service needs, please call our front office (360) 468-3377 Find updates HERE
Lopez Fit - closed
Lopez Library Effective Friday, March 13, The Lopez Island Library will be closed until further notice. This includes all Library Programs and all Meeting Room reservations
Lopez Thrift Store - closed
Lopez Village Market Open Daily 7:30 am to 7 pm. If you are housebound and in need of groceries, you can call an order in to the store, 360-468-2266 we will shop for you, and porch deliver either that evening or the following morning, depending on availability
Lydia Arts - closed
Tour de Lopez The Chamber Board met this morning and decided to cancel the Tour for this year. As much as a good bike ride on a country road might help one’s state of mind, it’s been decided that we must focus on the overall health of our riders and our community. Although this April’s event is now officially off the books, over the next couple of weeks we will investigate the possibility of an October ride and will keep you posted what materializes. In addition, the date for the 2021 ride has been set as Saturday, April 24, 2021.
If you have info about your business regarding concerns about COVID 19 that you would like to share, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 4 and 5 Updates from Joint EOC at Camp Murray - face coverings, drivers license expirations and more...
- April 8: PHD holds special meeting in Friday Harbor - COVID-19 related issues on agenda
- Two Orcas Island positive cases share details
- UPDATED April 4: FOUR new COVID-19 cases; Count is now 10 in the San Juan Islands
- PIMC offering their patients mobile COVID-19 testing in Friday Harbor
- County recommends 14-day quarantine when returning from the mainland
- Recap of COVID-19 News and Updates from state EOC
- UPDATED April 3: No new COVID-19 positive tests; Count remains at 6 county-wide- including a PIMC staff person
- Governor's Stay Home - Stay Healthy order extended to May 4; More guidance issued
- 2 more COVID-19 cases; 1 on San Juan Island (PIMC staffer), 1 on Orcas Island
- $120K in emergency rental assistance available for San Juan County residents
- DSHS purchases shuttered nursing home in Seattle to free up hospital beds in Western Washington hospitals
- Dr. James and Dr. House working together to find a way to expand testing
- Widespread COVID-19 testing plan nixed by lack of tests
- Medical Surge Planning: Hoping for the Best, Planning for the Worst
- All appts at DOL offices cancelled; Online form to report businesses violating Gov's order
- Stay Home - Healthy guidelines for children and families
- UPDATED April 1: COVID-19 case count is 6 in San Juan County - including a PIMC staff person
- Alchemy Art Center creates opportunities for Creativity at Home
- Property Taxes and COVID-19, from San Juan County Treasurer
- Compass Health providing free, downloadable templates and protocols as part of COVID-19 response
- Hubbard, the first positive COVID 19 case on San Juan Island, shares his experience
- First case of COVID 19 on San Juan Island; County total now 4
- UPDATE: Someone needed to do the research study: Dr. House working to test everyone on San Juan Island
- Message from King's/Marketplace to the community
- San Juan Island Fire & Rescue Temporarily Implements 24/7 On-Duty Staffing
- From Award-Winning Whiskey to Critical Sanitizer
- Update March 27: No new cases; County total still 3
- WDFW closes recreational fishing statewide in wake of governor’s order to ‘Stay Home, Stay Healthy’ in response to COVID-19
- Eventide needs viral nasopharyngeal swabs and universal transport medium.
- Delta Dental of Washington to make financial relief available to its Independent Network Dentists ordered to limit practice
- Update March 26: 1 new case on Lopez Island; County total is 3
- Dr. James will release later today final ordinance to close playgrounds, lodging facilities, campgrounds
- Port of Friday Harbor closed to transient moorage and airport camping
- Eventide working with Luxel on mask covers, glassblowers on ventilator splitters, telemedicine continues
- Second COVID 19 case is on Orcas Island
- San Juan Island School Board March 25 meeting available via Zoom; email public comments
- WA Legislators request federal disaster unemployment assistance for independent contractors
- New stricter emergency orders for District and Superior Courts
- Telemedicine changes at Eventide Health.
- Inslee issues “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order
- San Juan Community Foundation committed to Community Relief
- County council working to close all lodging facilities/transient moorage in the San Juan Islands through end of May
- Whatcom County Health Department identifies 29 additional cases of COVID-19 at Shuksan Healthcare Center
- Larsen: Major Disaster Declaration makes critical federal aid available for Washingtonians
- A letter about the situation in Europe from an Islander in France
- Camping closed in county parks through May, in state parks through April 30
- Open or Closed: Restaurants in the San Juan Islands - Updated April 3
- State and county seeking medical professional volunteers
- Special hours for elderly and high-risk customers at Market Place in Friday Harbor
- Department of Health releases personal protective equipment distribution guidelines
- Second COVID-19 related death in Whatcom County; 3 residents at skilled nursing facility test positive
- WSF: All tickets now available for purchase online
- Washington State Parks camp host tests positive for COVID-19
- Citizen sends open letter to council asking them to shut down access to the islands
- PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center prepares for COVID-19
- Town extends due dates for utility payments
- Orcas Island resident tests positive for COVID-19
- A letter about the situation in Europe from an Islander in France
- Harbor Life Ring program seeks donations for utility payers and Food Bank in response to COVID-19
- Eventide Health in Friday Harbor: COVID-19 testing update
- OPALCO suspends late fees and disconnects during COVID-19; Co-op Committed to Keeping Islanders Energized
- Coronavirus: the known and the unknown
- WSF offering ticket refunds and suspending no-show fees
- Dr. Fishaut stepping back from seeing patients temporarily
- Inslee announces relief for businesses, workers, renters and more in response to COVID-19 outbreak
- Statewide shutdown of restaurants, bars and expanded social gathering limits includes ferry galleys
- PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center suspends visitor access
- SJICF creates emergency response fund
- Larsen: Federal Disaster Relief available for small businesses suffering from COVID-19 Impact
- Islanders Bank lobbies closed; mobile, online and drive up service available
- Update on changes at Senior Centers; Meals on Wheels still continues
- Institutions offer financial options during COVID 19 outbreak
- What Are WA Workers' Paid Leave Options During Coronavirus?
- Inslee statement on statewide shutdown of restaurants, bars and limits on size of gatherings expanded
- Orcas Island: Lit Fest, Spring Mini Film Fest cancelled, library, schools closed.....
- King County Update: Cases 388, deaths 35
- San Juan Island School District ready to put its thorough plans in action
- San Juan Preservation Trust cancels events through April
- All Island Rec activities cancelled until further notice
- San Juan Community Theatre is cancelling events due to concerns about COVID 19
- San Juan Island Library closing March 15 to April 24; Wi-Fi access will still be available in parking lot
- Notice of Potential Public Exposure to COVID-19 at The Silver Reef Casino Buffet on March 10
- San Juan Island Fire & Rescue Stations temporarily closed to the public
- San Juan County EDC launches survey to assess business impacts from COVID-19
- San Juan Island School District is planning on tele-schooling March 20 - April 24
- Gov. cancels all K-12 schools in state until April 24
- OPALCO offices to close for safety; Business Open - contact by telephone or email to prevent viral spread
- Social distancing aboard WSF ferries
- March 13: San Juan County to declare an Emergency responding to COVID-19
- Dr. James: Tests are negative for San Juan's case "in the works" for COVID 19
- Woman in her 40s is Skagit County's first case of COVID 19
- New state and King County orders issued to protect residents’ health from COVID-19
- Whatcom County resident has COVID 19; officials looking for anyone who had contact with her
- Islanders Bank: We care about your health
- Dr. House offers advice on healthy ways to cope with worry
- Inslee announces support for workers and businesses impacted by COVID-19
- Inslee issues new rules to protect older adults in nursing homes, living facilities
- Sports games, community dinner, senior vs staff basketball game among the canceled activities on San Juan Island
- March 9: Live Stream Community Update from San Juan County at 3 p.m.