Governor Jay Inslee ordered all K-12 schools in Washington state - public and private - to close from March 17 to April 24, 2020. San Juan Island School District sent out this letter Saturday, March 14 detailing how education, meal service for those in need and special ed will continue.
Letter to the community from the San Juan Island School District Board
Much has been done in the very short time that our school district first learned about the coronavirus pandemic. The Superintendent and staff have been working tirelessly to develop a plan to serve our students in a tele-schooling model for at least the next six weeks.
Most districts are expecting an extended loss of learning time. We are one of the few districts that is ready to face this challenge. The ongoing community support that our schools enjoy provides both the means and opportunity to keep our kids ready to move forward. For this we thank you.
We are on track to tele-school our entire student body in partnership with Rock Island Technology Solutions who is graciously providing access where needed. Our students will have access to their own classes, teachers and paraprofessionals electronically.
We are on track to continue Special Education services, with some adaptations.
We are on track to continue meal service for those who are in need.
We are on track to continue employing all of our staff; teachers, paraprofessionals, clerical staff, custodians and drivers.
There are still many unknowns, the situation is very fluid. Different issues arise daily, but between our community and our outstanding staff, our kids will move forward and be prepared to meet next year exactly where they should be.
On behalf of our school board, thank you for your support.
San Juan Island School District Board Chair
- April 4 and 5 Updates from Joint EOC at Camp Murray - face coverings, drivers license expirations and more...
- April 8: PHD holds special meeting in Friday Harbor - COVID-19 related issues on agenda
- Two Orcas Island positive cases share details
- UPDATED April 4: FOUR new COVID-19 cases; Count is now 10 in the San Juan Islands
- PIMC offering their patients mobile COVID-19 testing in Friday Harbor
- County recommends 14-day quarantine when returning from the mainland
- Recap of COVID-19 News and Updates from state EOC
- UPDATED April 3: No new COVID-19 positive tests; Count remains at 6 county-wide- including a PIMC staff person
- Governor's Stay Home - Stay Healthy order extended to May 4; More guidance issued
- 2 more COVID-19 cases; 1 on San Juan Island (PIMC staffer), 1 on Orcas Island
- $120K in emergency rental assistance available for San Juan County residents
- DSHS purchases shuttered nursing home in Seattle to free up hospital beds in Western Washington hospitals
- Dr. James and Dr. House working together to find a way to expand testing
- Widespread COVID-19 testing plan nixed by lack of tests
- Medical Surge Planning: Hoping for the Best, Planning for the Worst
- All appts at DOL offices cancelled; Online form to report businesses violating Gov's order
- Stay Home - Healthy guidelines for children and families
- UPDATED April 1: COVID-19 case count is 6 in San Juan County - including a PIMC staff person
- Alchemy Art Center creates opportunities for Creativity at Home
- Property Taxes and COVID-19, from San Juan County Treasurer
- Compass Health providing free, downloadable templates and protocols as part of COVID-19 response
- Hubbard, the first positive COVID 19 case on San Juan Island, shares his experience
- First case of COVID 19 on San Juan Island; County total now 4
- UPDATE: Someone needed to do the research study: Dr. House working to test everyone on San Juan Island
- Message from King's/Marketplace to the community
- San Juan Island Fire & Rescue Temporarily Implements 24/7 On-Duty Staffing
- From Award-Winning Whiskey to Critical Sanitizer
- Update March 27: No new cases; County total still 3
- WDFW closes recreational fishing statewide in wake of governor’s order to ‘Stay Home, Stay Healthy’ in response to COVID-19
- Eventide needs viral nasopharyngeal swabs and universal transport medium.
- Delta Dental of Washington to make financial relief available to its Independent Network Dentists ordered to limit practice
- Update March 26: 1 new case on Lopez Island; County total is 3
- Dr. James will release later today final ordinance to close playgrounds, lodging facilities, campgrounds
- Port of Friday Harbor closed to transient moorage and airport camping
- Eventide working with Luxel on mask covers, glassblowers on ventilator splitters, telemedicine continues
- Second COVID 19 case is on Orcas Island
- San Juan Island School Board March 25 meeting available via Zoom; email public comments
- WA Legislators request federal disaster unemployment assistance for independent contractors
- New stricter emergency orders for District and Superior Courts
- Telemedicine changes at Eventide Health.
- Inslee issues “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order
- San Juan Community Foundation committed to Community Relief
- County council working to close all lodging facilities/transient moorage in the San Juan Islands through end of May
- Whatcom County Health Department identifies 29 additional cases of COVID-19 at Shuksan Healthcare Center
- Larsen: Major Disaster Declaration makes critical federal aid available for Washingtonians
- A letter about the situation in Europe from an Islander in France
- Camping closed in county parks through May, in state parks through April 30
- Open or Closed: Restaurants in the San Juan Islands - Updated April 3
- State and county seeking medical professional volunteers
- Special hours for elderly and high-risk customers at Market Place in Friday Harbor
- Department of Health releases personal protective equipment distribution guidelines
- Second COVID-19 related death in Whatcom County; 3 residents at skilled nursing facility test positive
- WSF: All tickets now available for purchase online
- Washington State Parks camp host tests positive for COVID-19
- Citizen sends open letter to council asking them to shut down access to the islands
- PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center prepares for COVID-19
- Town extends due dates for utility payments
- Orcas Island resident tests positive for COVID-19
- A letter about the situation in Europe from an Islander in France
- Harbor Life Ring program seeks donations for utility payers and Food Bank in response to COVID-19
- Eventide Health in Friday Harbor: COVID-19 testing update
- OPALCO suspends late fees and disconnects during COVID-19; Co-op Committed to Keeping Islanders Energized
- Coronavirus: the known and the unknown
- WSF offering ticket refunds and suspending no-show fees
- Dr. Fishaut stepping back from seeing patients temporarily
- Inslee announces relief for businesses, workers, renters and more in response to COVID-19 outbreak
- Statewide shutdown of restaurants, bars and expanded social gathering limits includes ferry galleys
- PeaceHealth Peace Island Medical Center suspends visitor access
- SJICF creates emergency response fund
- Larsen: Federal Disaster Relief available for small businesses suffering from COVID-19 Impact
- Islanders Bank lobbies closed; mobile, online and drive up service available
- Update on changes at Senior Centers; Meals on Wheels still continues
- Institutions offer financial options during COVID 19 outbreak
- What Are WA Workers' Paid Leave Options During Coronavirus?
- Inslee statement on statewide shutdown of restaurants, bars and limits on size of gatherings expanded
- Open or Closed? Businesses and organizations in the San Juan Islands - Updated April 2
- Orcas Island: Lit Fest, Spring Mini Film Fest cancelled, library, schools closed.....
- King County Update: Cases 388, deaths 35
- San Juan Preservation Trust cancels events through April
- All Island Rec activities cancelled until further notice
- San Juan Community Theatre is cancelling events due to concerns about COVID 19
- San Juan Island Library closing March 15 to April 24; Wi-Fi access will still be available in parking lot
- Notice of Potential Public Exposure to COVID-19 at The Silver Reef Casino Buffet on March 10
- San Juan Island Fire & Rescue Stations temporarily closed to the public
- San Juan County EDC launches survey to assess business impacts from COVID-19
- San Juan Island School District is planning on tele-schooling March 20 - April 24
- Gov. cancels all K-12 schools in state until April 24
- OPALCO offices to close for safety; Business Open - contact by telephone or email to prevent viral spread
- Friday Harbor Elementary School STEM Teams win Competitive Science Awards
- Social distancing aboard WSF ferries
- March 13: San Juan County to declare an Emergency responding to COVID-19
- Dr. James: Tests are negative for San Juan's case "in the works" for COVID 19
- Woman in her 40s is Skagit County's first case of COVID 19
- New state and King County orders issued to protect residents’ health from COVID-19
- Whatcom County resident has COVID 19; officials looking for anyone who had contact with her
- Islanders Bank: We care about your health
- Dr. House offers advice on healthy ways to cope with worry
- Inslee announces support for workers and businesses impacted by COVID-19
- Inslee issues new rules to protect older adults in nursing homes, living facilities
- Sports games, community dinner, senior vs staff basketball game among the canceled activities on San Juan Island