PRESS RELEASE: San Juan Island School District is pleased to announce the selection of the new middle school/high school principal to begin in July in time for next school year. Principal Martin Yablonovsky and his family will be moving to the island from Salt Lake City, Utah. Mr. Yablonovsky has served for the past fourteen years as an administrator in Salt Lake City School District. Of his nine years teaching, his favorite years were teaching in rural Alaska.
Mr. Yablonovsky is known to be a dynamic and dedicated leader.
According to Mr. Yablonovsky, “My professional goal is to serve as principal in a rural school, and I would enjoy putting my twenty-two years of experience in rural and urban public schools to work serving the San Juan Island community. A variety of experiences has built in me a strong educational vision that can be summarized in a few core beliefs; I believe in being part of the community, I believe in building teams to serve individuals, and I believe every student can learn.
"I have loved what I have read and learned about San Juan Island and can envision my family living there happily. To say I am excited and honored to serve as principal of Friday Harbor Middle and High Schools is an understatement. During the rigorous interview process, I was impressed with the quality of the staff, parents, and community members with whom I connected. However, it was while observing the camaraderie and spirit of the students during the student-led tour that I knew I wanted this job.”
Mr. Yablonovsky’s academic credentials include a BA in Math Education with a minor in Physics (Brigham Young University), an MA in Educational Leadership (BYU), and an MBA (University of Utah).
“To date, my career in education has been a grand adventure.” said Mr. Yablonovsky, “My family and I are thrilled to be able to continue the adventure on San Juan Island. I look forward to bringing every resource at my disposal to serving the students, parents, staff, and community of San Juan Island Schools.”
Mr. Yablonovsky and his wife Carmen have three children; Isaac (20), Ingrid (13), and Briar (10), as well as a cat named Pearl (no age given).
Superintendent McVeigh expressed her appreciation for the experience that Mr. Yablonovsky brings to the district, “We are happy to have hired such a positive and inspiring new administrator to our community. Welcome, Martin!”
- WIAA told no sports for the rest of this school year
- Inslee extends school closures for the rest of the 2019-20 school year
- San Juan Island School District Food Service during Teleschooling
- San Juan Island School District ready to put its thorough plans in action
- San Juan Island School District is planning on tele-schooling March 20 - April 24
- Gov. cancels all K-12 schools in state until April 24
- Friday Harbor Elementary School STEM Teams win Competitive Science Awards
- Sports games, community dinner, senior vs staff basketball game among the canceled activities on San Juan Island
- Supreme Court rules state must fully fund K-12 education
- Stepping Up STEM Education in Washington