A+ A A-

Accidental cooking fire results in total loss of structure on Orcas Island

On the morning of June 2, 2022 Orcas Island Fire and Rescue responded to a residential structure fire in the 400-block of Fern Street in Eastsound.

A volunteer firefighter in the area was first to arrive on scene and reported heavy smoke coming from a kitchen located in the front portion of the structure.

Fire engines arrived moments later with heavy smoke and flames visible. Firefighters implemented a transitional attack – fighting the fire from both the interior and exterior of the home.

Crews were able to contain the fire to the structure, mitigating fire hazard to nearby brush, vehicles, and buildings.

The structure is reported to be a total loss, and the cause was determined to be an accidental cooking fire. One resident and two pets were home at the time and were able to make it out of the residence. No firefighters were injured during the event.

Fire personnel urge safe cooking practice and remind you to remain present at all times when cooking, have a fire extinguisher nearby and be sure to have working smoke detectors located throughout your home.

 

1 comment

  • David Robison Wednesday, 08 June 2022 10:43 Comment Link Report

    So sorry for this family. Fire blankets to throw on top of the cooktop are also a good idea for a kitchen.

Leave a comment

Comments are welcome as long as they are civil, do not include personal attacks, and pertain to the subject. In order to avoid being overrun by spam, comments are reviewed before they are posted.