Smoke was emanating from vents under a home in the Westcott Bay area when San Juan Island Fire and Rescue firefighters arrived on the scene Friday morning, July 1, 2019. The owner of the home had safely evacuated with his pets and there were no injuries. The crews were responding to a 9-1-1 call reporting a residential fire.
Firefighters ready the hose. Photo courtesy of SJIFRD
San Juan Island Fire and Rescue is conducting a live fire training in the wooded area east of the District’s main station, 1011 Mullis Street in Friday Harbor, Sunday, April 14, 2019. The live fire training is scheduled from 12 noon to 5 p.m. During that time residents will see smoke in the area around Mullis Street and Friday Harbor Airport.
A potential buyer was trying to start up an RV that was parked next to the Office Center on Spring Street in Friday Harbor, when the vehicle backfired and caught fire. According to San Juan Island Fire Chief Norvin Collins, the fire spread to the Office Center. A nearby propane tank fed the fire.
San Juan Island Firefighters battle the blaze. Matt Pranger photo
This photo shows the RV on fire and the edge of the Office Center roof just beginning to burn. Christine Minney photo
View from near Ernie's Cafe at Friday Harbor airport. Photo by Christine Minney
One person suffered minor injuries and was taken to PIMC to be checked. One customer and an employee were in the store when the fire broke out. The owner grabbed a fire extinguisher and tried to stop the fire while 9-1-1 was called. The owner's actions made it possible for cars parked nearby to be moved out of danger.
View of back of building. Photo by Keith Richards
San Juan Island Fire Chief Norvin Collins directs firefighters. Matt Pranger photo
Foam was used to help extinguish the fire. Matt Pranger photo
View of the rear of the building. Matt Pranger photo
Office Center was located on Spring Street in Friday Harbor. Matt Pranger photo
A house on Roche Harbor Road on San Juan Island was completely destroyed in a fire Tuesday, February 26, 2019. San Juan Island Fire and Rescue responded to the fire with 20 personnel, four engines, two tenders and one rescue truck. Additional assistance was provided on the scene by the department’s logistics team, along with San Juan Island EMS and the San Juan County Sheriff’s Department.
According to the fire department, an unattended fire - either a fireplace or woodburning stove - was the source of the blaze.
Firefighters battling blaze Tuesday evening. Photo courtesy of San Juan Island Fire and Rescue Dept.
Lieutenant Michael Henderson received San Juan Island Fire and Rescue’s highest award Saturday night when the District celebrated the 2018 contributions of its members at Downriggers Restaurant.
(from L. to R.): Fire Commissioners Frank Cardinale, Bob Jarman, Lt. Michael Henderson and Commissioner Albert Olson. Photo by Chuck Dalldorf