San Juan County Hospital District No. 1 will spend $4,000 to hire an independent person to conduct a review and evaluation of a run call by San Juan Island Emergency Medical Services. The PHD Commissioners met for more than an hour in executive session to discuss the issue at their August 22 meeting.
In the public session, following the executive session, Commissioner Warren Appleton made a motion to allocate the money for the review which will focus on the pre-hospital care on that run and communication between SJI EMS and Peace Island Medical Center.
Appleton said, "This has raised a bunch of issues in the community. We need a clear understanding of what happened."
He said that the hospital already knows its issues.
The person conducting the review and evaluation will give a report to the PHD.
The run in question was the subject of another executive session July 17, 2018. Read more about that here.
- San Juan Island PHD to hold special meeting Feb. 5
- San Juan Island EMS Chief Martin submits resignation
- Taxpayers footing the legal bill because PHD won't ask EMS Chief for documentation
- Kuetzing chosen to be interim San Juan Island EMS Chief
- State investigating allegation of incompetence, negligence, or malpractice against San Juan Island EMS Chief
- 2 complaints against San Juan Island EMS Chief Martin filed at DOH
- 2 of 5 PHD Commissioners concerned about Chief Martin's intubation skills
- 2 more paid EMTs, 6-month severance for chief included in San Juan Island EMS budget
- Oct. 24: San Juan Island PHD to review report on investigation about a November 2017 EMS run
- Something amiss at SJ EMS - Updated with info from Dr. Sullivan