The San Juan County Planning Commission is continuing the public hearing on an ordinance adopting the 2036 Comprehensive Plan Update. The Comprehensive Plan is the centerpiece of local planning in the county. Like a business plan, the Comprehensive Plan provides the framework for how our community will grow.
The 2036 Comprehensive Plan Update public hearings will be held on the following dates:
- Friday, August 5, 2022 – Continued hearing on the Comprehensive Plan text, excluding Official Maps
- Friday, August 19, 2022 – specifically for Official Maps
The hearings will be held virtually and at the County Council hearing room in the Legislative Building at 55 Second Street, Friday Harbor, San Juan Island and will begin at or after 8:45 a.m. Information for joining the hearings is available at: https://www.sanjuanco.com/589/Planning-Commission. Interested parties are encouraged to submit written or oral comments regarding the proposal.
Copies of the draft ordinance and staff reports related to the Comprehensive Plan are posted online at: https://www.sanjuanco.com/1079/Comprehensive-Plan-Update. As a reminder, the August 5, 2022 public hearing excludes the official maps. The Planning Commission will take public testimony and make a recommendation on proposed changes to the Comprehensive Plan Official Maps at a public hearing on August 19, 2022.
How to Comment
Written comments submitted prior to 12:00 p.m. on August 4, 2022 will be provided to the Planning Commissioners before the hearing. Please comment:
- Via Mail: Before the public hearing, the public may mail written comments to Sophia Cassam, Department of Community Development (DCD), PO Box 947 Friday Harbor, WA 98250.
- Via Email: Email comments to CompPlanComments@sanjuanco.com. Title the subject line: Comprehensive Plan Update. For the record, please include your full name and address.
- Via Oral Testimony: To join by Microsoft Teams, visit https://www.sanjuanco.com/589/Planning-Commission to find the meeting information. To join by phone, please call 1 (360) 726-3293 and use the meeting ID 613 618 865#
After taking testimony, the Planning Commission will continue deliberations on their recommendation to the County Council. The proposed ordinance will fulfil the requirement established by RCW 36.70.A.130 for San Juan County to periodically update its Comprehensive Plan.