Message from San Juan County Sheriff Ron Krebs:
Over the last few days, we have been getting a lot of calls and complaints regarding the vacation rentals in San Juan County advertising their rentals. Everyone is concerned about a huge influx of visitors during this time of crisis, and rightfully so.
We have looked into nearly all of the complaints to date on the vacation rentals. Every one we have contacted has sent back an automated response with something to the effect that they are not renting during the governor’s lockdown. They will resume renting after the order is lifted and will rent if the person is designated as an essential worker.
Essentially, of the hundreds of VRBO and Airbnb rentals we have looked into, we have not found a single one that is not complying with the governor’s order.
I know we all want our lives to go back to normal, and we are almost there. In anticipation of, what we all hope is a good summer, the vacation rental people are advertising for summer and fall rentals. Advertising for the future is understandable and not in violation of any of the current laws and orders.
The Sheriff’s Office has been working closely with the community, the Prosecuting Attorney, and Code Enforcement to ensure none of the current orders are being violated. We have taken an education first approach with great success.
Of the two or three people we have had to talk to, all understood and are complying without complaint. We have not had anyone be outwardly defiant of the order and that speaks volumes to the caliber of people we have in this county we all call home.
If anyone has any information of someone violating the governor’s order, please report it to the Covid-19 tipline at 360-370-7609 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we all keep doing what we are doing, we will get through this crisis together and will have a great summer. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing and talking to everyone again.
Stay home and stay healthy,
Ron Krebs Sheriff
- Move to Phase 3 will be decided county by county; June 13 earliest date San Juan County would be eligible
- Definition of a close contact updated
- 1118 tests performed, still 15 positive results in San Juan County
- What can you do in Phase 2 in the San Juan Islands?
- San Juan County is NOW in Phase 2
- Additional counties approved to move to phase two of Gov. Jay Inslee's Safe Start plan
- Two cases of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) in Washington state
- Letter posted asking state for waiver; Most camping and overnight moorage would not be allowed in the islands in Phase 2
- Happy smiling people hanging about in the Town of Friday Harbor
- $150K of Working Washington Small Business Emergency Grants distributed to 21 island businesses
- Updated: San Juan County eligible for a waiver to skip ahead to Phase 2 under new criteria
- Inslee announces restart of all medical services in Washington
- What does the face covering order mean?
- Statewide Report: Distancing measures remain critical as COVID-19 transmission persists
- Update on Face covering order: It's a recommendation until county is in Phase 2, then it's mandatory
- No request made this week to state to skip to Phase 2, Might ask next week
- Directive to wear face coverings begins May 18 in King County
- Inslee issues additional guidance for outdoor recreation in Phase 1 and Phase 2
- Learn about guidance for reopening dine-in restaurants in Phase 2
- Inslee launches Contact Tracing Initiative
- County Health Officer may mandate the wearing of masks in Phase 2
- 3 more counties allowed to skip ahead to Phase 2
- Lopez Island 4th of July Fireworks canceled for 2020
- May 11: San Juan County Council and Board of Health meeting
- Next number report not until Monday, May 11
- Inslee releases more guidance on Phase I
- 5 Washington counties approved for early move to next phase of reopening
- $117K in grants awarded to 4 farms serving Orcas Island
- Anti-body Update from Dr. House
- Island Rec will be offering virtual programs this summer; In-person programs and events canceled
- Update May 15: 972 tests performed, positive count remains at 15
- Here are the 4 steps to apply for a waiver to skip ahead to Phase 2
- Inslee updates Phased Reopening Plan
- Update from state's Joint Information Center
- Health Officer extends order to May 31 keeping lodging and more closed in the San Juan Islands
- How San Juan County compares to 10 counties that might skip ahead to Phase 2; Detailed list of Phases posted
- Gov. extends his order means Memorial Day a bust, 4th of July festivities unlikely
- Inslee clarifies limits on elective surgeries
- AG tells Stine to stop selling and administering his COVID-19 'vaccine'
- UPDATE May 1: No new cases of COVID-19 in the San Juan Islands
- Partial re-opening of some outdoor recreation activities on May 5
- Inslee: $300 million in federal stimulus funding to go to cities and counties of less than 500,000 population
- April 25 and 26 updates from state Joint Information Center: new symptoms listed, new numbers, tips for parents and more...
- Inslee announces plan to allow construction projects previously underway to be completed
- UPDATED April 24: Streak keeps going, 8 days since last positive test result, Count remains at 14
- Working Washington Small Business Grant program gets additional $5 million infusion; $10 million now available to address some of estimated 25,000 applications from businesses up to 10 employees
- Everything you need to know right now about local testing
- Inslee explains his WA state recovery plan
- Help available from Lopez, Orcas and San Juan Island Family Resource Centers
- UPDATED April 22: More good news count still 14 for San Juan County; 594 tested
- Latest from Camp Murray EOC
- Mayor invites 'vaccine' seller to Friday Harbor
- COVID Symptom Tracker app can help slow the spread
- DOH reporting another new case for San Juan County: Total now 15
- UPDATE April 17: No new cases; Positive results in about 3 percent of tests
- COVID-19 survivors may help save lives by donating blood
- Looking for take-out: there's an app for that
- San Juan Island Community Foundation raised $145k for COVID-19 response
- Ferry reservations for summer postponed
- State EOC's new report: Distancing efforts working and must continue in key Washington counties
- Governors of WA, OR, and CA will coordinate reopening plans
- 3 property tax relief options offered by San Juan County Treasurer
- Voluntary testing of essential folks begins April 13 in Friday Harbor
- DOH adds additional data on confirmed COVID-19 cases
- Dr. James extends lockdown order through May 4
- WSF extends winter sailing schedules through June 20 due to lower demand
- Update from state's Joint Operations Center - food, emergency grants for businesses and more...
- More hand sanitizer being produced on Orcas Island
- Essentially an Islander: Ryan Nelson
- WIAA told no sports for the rest of this school year
- UPDATED April 16: One new case; County total 14
- Delivering soon? PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center and Island Hospital Childbirth Centers offer assurance
- April 7: Larsen to host COVID-19 Telephone Town Hall
- Inslee extends school closures for the rest of the 2019-20 school year
- April 4 and 5 Updates from Joint EOC at Camp Murray - face coverings, drivers license expirations and more...
- Two Orcas Island positive cases share details
- UPDATED April 4: FOUR new COVID-19 cases; Count is now 10 in the San Juan Islands
- PIMC offering their patients mobile COVID-19 testing in Friday Harbor
- County recommends 14-day quarantine when returning from the mainland
- Recap of COVID-19 News and Updates from state EOC
- UPDATED April 3: No new COVID-19 positive tests; Count remains at 6 county-wide- including a PIMC staff person
- Governor's Stay Home - Stay Healthy order extended to May 4; More guidance issued
- 2 more COVID-19 cases; 1 on San Juan Island (PIMC staffer), 1 on Orcas Island
- $120K in emergency rental assistance available for San Juan County residents
- DSHS purchases shuttered nursing home in Seattle to free up hospital beds in Western Washington hospitals
- Dr. James and Dr. House working together to find a way to expand testing
- Widespread COVID-19 testing plan nixed by lack of tests
- Medical Surge Planning: Hoping for the Best, Planning for the Worst
- All appts at DOL offices cancelled; Online form to report businesses violating Gov's order
- Stay Home - Healthy guidelines for children and families
- UPDATED April 1: COVID-19 case count is 6 in San Juan County - including a PIMC staff person
- Alchemy Art Center creates opportunities for Creativity at Home
- Property Taxes and COVID-19, from San Juan County Treasurer
- Compass Health providing free, downloadable templates and protocols as part of COVID-19 response
- Hubbard, the first positive COVID 19 case on San Juan Island, shares his experience
- First case of COVID 19 on San Juan Island; County total now 4
- UPDATE: Someone needed to do the research study: Dr. House working to test everyone on San Juan Island
- Message from King's/Marketplace to the community
- San Juan Island Fire & Rescue Temporarily Implements 24/7 On-Duty Staffing
- From Award-Winning Whiskey to Critical Sanitizer