San Juan County Sheriff’s Office has received multiple reports from community members that have received calls from phone scammers claiming to be officials from the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.
The scammers are telling people that they have a failure to appear for court and to pay money to avoid arrest. San Juan County Sheriff’s Office would never solicit money from anyone over the phone.
There are some circumstances where, if you did have a warrant, you could possibly post the bail, but this would be done in person with the Deputy and never over the phone.
Undersheriff Zac Reimer wrote, "During the investigation we attempted to call the scammers and received a phone call back from someone that claimed to be an official from our agency. When we identified ourselves to the scammer and told him that we also worked for the San Juan County Sheriffs’ Office and did not know him, he used offensive language towards us and then hung up the phone. They are using and giving out what appears to be a local number using a 360 area code, but they are likely from out of the area.
"We are actively working on investigating and identifying who is responsible for these fraudulent calls. In the meantime, while we investigate these incidents, we would like you to be aware of these calls and it serves as a reminder to always verify who you are talking with before giving out any personal information or money."
Remember you can always verify members of the Sheriff’s Office by calling the posted direct non-emergency dispatch line, 360-378-4151.
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands Sept. 21-27, 2022: Dog dies in burning shed; stolen mail, kayak, car; missing person, lost senior, DUIs
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands September 14-20, 2022: Possible human remains found, multiple signs found on road, drug use on ferry
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands August 24-30, 2022: Cat apparently killed by loose dogs, scooter accident, vehicle prowl, hit&run in ferry lanes,
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands Aug. 17-24: Fraud, domestic violence, missing boat...
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log August 10-17: Stampeding horses, dog bites, indecent exposure, death threat
- When a wrong number goes right
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands July 20 - 26, 2022: Trespasser armed with knife threatens deputy, truck crash, Public works tree cutter angers Lopezian, golf cart crash
- San Juan Island Sheriff's Log July 7-13: Fraud, disorderly conduct, chopping wood, missing camper, vandalism...
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands June 29-July 6: Fake contest flyers, BUI, illegally moored boats, missing person, flare or dynamite...
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log June 15-21: Threatening behavior in Eastsound, Disorderly conduct in Friday Harbor, unsafe driving
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log June 8-14: Flagger assaulted, car stolen, expensive boat equipment stolen, citizen upset by COVID test,
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log May 11-17: Firearms, tree hits car, person trespassed from ferry, missing boat, illegal moorage
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log May 4-10, 2022: 'Trapped tennis players', missing packages, DUIs, DV, scam calls
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log April 27-May 6: Deadly cat fight, utility theft, DUIs, crashes,ferry ticket fraud
- Orcas Island man arrested as suspect in string of Eastsound burglaries
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log April 20-26: Elderly assailant at gravel pit, stolen boat recovered, multiple burglaries in Eastsound,
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log April 13-19, 2022: Ticketed vessels, drowsy diner, fraud, free library vandal, disappearing deliveries
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log March 30-April 5: Stolen tires, loose dogs, distressed boater, bus accident
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands March 23-29: Downed plane, mulitple fraud calls, commercial burglaries, residential burglary
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands March 16-23, 2022: Missing dock; stolen mainland car found; boating under the influence,
- Rob Nou retires after 40 years in law enforcement
- Sheriff's Log San Juan Islands March 9-15, 2022: Deer/moped collision; 2 injured in robbery; Daycare FB page hacked; 1 trespassed from Lopez terminal;
- San Juan County deputies arrest Friday Harbor man on drug charges
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log March 2-8, 2022: Money found, mailbox hit, job lost, cord of wood stolen...
- San Juan Islands Sheriff's Log Feb. 23-March 1: 3 death investigations, fraud, unwanted people, single-vehicle collisions...
- Eades finishes up 33 years with county
- Sucia, the drug sniffing dog, will be retired due to change in drug laws