On Friday, March 1, 2019, San Juan County District Court released four sections of video from the courtroom security camera that shows the zooming action that resulted in a criminal case being dismissed. The first of four video clips is posted at the end of this page. The manipulation on the first video clip was done by county Dispatcher Nicholas Wainwright on January 31, 2019. He said he was curious what the large paper was. The controls for the camera are in the Sheriff's Dispatch Office.
Still from first section of the video. The 20-second video is posted at the bottom of this page.
Sheriff Ron Krebs is believed to have done the manipulation on the other three video clips. He claimed it was accidental as he tried to zoom out the camera. The entire section of footage that shows the camera zooming in and out was not released as one unit due to security concerns cited by Krebs' attorney and county IT staff. They thought security would be compromised if people could deduce blind spots after they saw what the default position of the camera revealed.
- EDITORIAL: What happens next in Friday Harbor following release of District Court's security cam video
- UPDATED with VIDEO of defense attorney's notes: Sheriff edits video; Eaton approves release.
- Second section of security video - zooming in juror's notebook
- Third section of security video - zooming in on Prosecutor's notebook
- County may install different courtroom cameras
- Video to be unsealed; Sheriff given chance to make security-related redactions
- Hearing held Feb. 12; Decision on unsealing security camera video expected February 19
- EDITORIAL: Public needs to see security camera video that resulted in dismissal of criminal trial
- Friday Harbor attorney files brief in favor of unsealing security camera video
- Case dismissed after government misconduct in Friday Harbor
- Courtroom security camera in Friday Harbor aimed at defense's notes
- Motion to dismiss Orcas teacher's sexual misconduct case in court April 21
- New trial ordered for Orcas Island teacher due to govt. misconduct
- Governmental misconduct alleged in teacher sexual misconduct case