San Juan Island Brewing Company is one of two dozen Washington breweries featured at the 11th Annual Belgianfest beer tasting festival Saturday, January 25 at the Fisher Pavilion, Seattle Center. The event will feature 24 of the finest Washington Breweries pouring 80 unique, innovative and delicious Belgian style, Washington brewed beers.
Belgianfest will have two sessions on Saturday, January 25, beginning with a 1 to 4:30 pm session in the afternoon, and followed by 6:30 to 10 pm session on Saturday evening.
Tickets are available now at washingtonbeer.com. Tickets are $40 in advance or $45 at the door (per session). This afternoon session has nearly sold out the last nine years and advance ticket sales are happening now, so purchase your tickets today.
Belgian style beer is perhaps the most unique of all of the beer styles. As you look over the list of Washington Breweries and their Belgian style creations imagine flavors of cherry, rum, vanilla, pear, pomegranate, brown sugar, peppercorn, and biscuit, to name just a few. Check out the amazing flavor profiles in these one-of-a-kind brews in the beer list below.
Complete event information and ticket purchase is available at: washingtonbeer.com
2020 BELGIANFEST BEER LIST
1) Beers From the Wood Series - Barrel Aged Brett - Barrel aged 7 months with Brettanomyces, this ruby-colored Belgian ale exhibits complex and balanced aromas of sour cherry and fruit leather. Delicate hopping during the boil and months on wood produced jammy fruit flavors with a hint of Brett funk.
2) Bravetart (ABV 7%) - Our intrepid Broadsword aged in a bourbon barrel for a year and a day emerged with flavors of tart raspberries, crab apple, even cabernet sauvignon and aromas of over ripe fruit, subtle aged cheese and some barnyard funk. They may take our lagers, they may take our ales, but they'll never take our Bravetart!
3) Dubbel Vision (ABV 7.8% / IBU 25) - Our traditional Belgian-style Dubbel is malt forward and brewed with European Black Prinz malt, brown sugar and honey. Starting with aroma and flavor notes of clove and ripe banana from a Belgian monastic yeast, this dark beer finishes with a just a touch of warmth that hints at it's alcohol content.
4) Tripel Vision (ABV 8.9% / IBU 6) - Our Belgian Tripel adheres to traditional guidelines with its pale straw color from mostly pilsner malt and it's high alcohol content. This spicy Belgian will make your lips sing!
Black Raven Brewing-Redmond
1) La Petite Mort (ABV 8.5%) - La Petite Mort means a little death in French. What’s a little death if it comes in this form? Well worth it we think. This Belgian inspired strong abbey dark ale is brewed with a Belgian Ardennes yeast strain, and a generous four month cellar aging mellows and matures this fine ale. This additional time brings out flavors of dark fruit such as plums and raisins, deep caramel notes, and wonderful earthy tobacco tones.
2) 2018 Corvus Frambicus (ABV 5.7%) - Here it is folks, our raspberry sour with all the soul we could squeeze into it. This pours bright and red with strong raspberry and mature soured notes on the nose. It drinks crisp and dry with a slight raspberry hard candy note on the front. This soon gives way to a huge acid content which pushes the edge of comfort on the back of the palate. The finish is surprisingly clean and lingering.
Boundary Bay Brewery–Bellingham
1) It's A Sleeper (ABV 8.7% ABV / IBY 20) - COLLABORATION WITH NORTH FORK BREWERY - When North Fork and Boundary Bay brew together it’s likely to get a bit crazy! With the final gravity falling below the density of water, this experimental Belgian-style ale is no exception. Meld in aromas of stonefruit and light cherry, flavors of biscuity and light chocolate maltiness and an extraordinarily dry, brandy-like finish, and you’ve got yourself a taste of madness!
2) Wonderland (ABV 9.4% / IBU 25) - This Belgian Strong Golden's namesake is a fabled trail on Galbraith Mountain that was destroyed and reborn anew. Accessible to most riders, it also boasts a popular big drop for the more experienced rider. True to the trail and style, Wonderland Belgian is an approachable, powerful and intricate golden ale. Hidden behind the billowy lingering head, artfully balanced Body, and complex yeast character awaits a wondrous and deceptively strong treasure.
Burke Gilman Brewing-Seattle
1) Patersbier (ABV 5%)- A Belgian table beer.
2) Ty's Triple Tipple Tripel (ABV 9.3%) - A Belgian Tripel.
3) Boombastic (ABV 9.5%) - A Belgian Dark Strong, aged for 6 months in Red-Wine Barrels.
Camp Colvos Brewing-Vashon Island
1) Vie en Légèreté (ABV 5.2%) - “Life in Lightness” Belgian White, Aged with whisky-soaked white currents, crisp
2) Vie en Noir (ABV 6.8%) - “Life in Darkness” Black Saison, Aged on black currents, dried fruit, coffee, slightly tart
Diamond Knot Brewing-Mukilteo
1) Belgian Tripel (ABV 8.4% / IBU 20)
2) Oaked Belgian Tripel w/ rum soaked peppercorns (ABV 8.4% / IBU 20)
Elliott Bay Brewing-Burien
1) De Rode Duivels (Red Devils) (ABV 6.5%) - The house sour red blend for our Brother Barrel bar boasts aromas of red wine, cherries, raspberries, and vanilla with some malt flavor and vanilla sweetness for balance. 8 and 15 months in barrels
2) Brandy Barrel Tripel in Still Water (ABV 7.9%) - Slightly boozy sweet flavor and slight drying tannins from the barrel. Aroma of candied peaches and stone fruit from the Belgian yeast and charred oak barrel. 8 months in a barrel
3) Farmhouse Gold (ABV 5.5%) - Funky and tropical fruit aromas derived from Brettanomyces yeast. The Sauv Blanc barrel adds notes of crisp white wine, apricot, and honey. 10 months in barrels
4) Simple Ricks Belgian Single (ABV 4.6% / IBU 20) - Dry yet drinkable and flavorful straw-colored Belgian-style ale with notes of stone fruit and spice.
1) Brett Noel Barrel aged Belgian-style Dark Ale (ABV 12.8%)-Finished in red wine barrels with a house Brett culture. Emanating with chocolate and deep cherry notes, hints of smoke and roast, this luscious beer is perfect for those cold winter nights shared among friends.
2) Saison de Holdenberg - As unassuming, but nuanced, as our one and only Phil Holden. Copeland Pils and Caramel 15 from our friends at Skagit Valley Malting, a bit of Rolled oats for mouthfeel, hopped with Celeia for a floral and spicy finished. Fermented warm with one of our favorite Belgian yeasts for notes of fruity and perfumy esters.
Figurehead Brewing Company-Seattle
1) Barrel Aged Tripel Digits (ABV 9.2%) - For our 100th batch we brewed a traditional Abbey-style tripel and then ran a little bit into a 3rd use whiskey maple syrup barrel. The traditional Belgian aromas of clove and banana in the base beer have subsided to be replaced with huge oak notes of vanilla and a very subtle note of whiskey.
2) Tafelbier Dry-hopped Saison (ABV 4.5%) - We brewed this saison to be a tafelbier, or table beer in Flemmish. Spice from the saison yeast blends with spicy, herbal, and floral German hops making a great accompaniment to a wide range of dishes. The nose also lends notes of white wine, citrus, and subtle pine from a dry hop of Hallertau Blanc and Southern Cross hops. Tart, refreshing, and bursting with complexity, this beer can stand on its own yet won’t overpower whatever dish you pair it with.
3) C’est la Saison w/ Jamaican Peppercorns (ABV 5.9%) - A light malt bill and light hopping lets the spice notes in this winter saison take center stage. We fermented this beer warmer to enhance the spiciness from the yeast and then added additional spice in the form of allspice, also known as Jamaican peppercorns.
4) Session 1 Only - Belgian Ale w/ Brandy Soaked Cherries Cask (ABV 6.4%) - Dark amber ale fermented with abbey-style yeast and then cask conditioned with 1.5 pounds of pie cherries soaked in brandy. Sweetness and notes of fig/raisin from dark crystal malts combine with fruitiness from the brandy, while the tart cherries bring some balance.
5) Session 2 Only – Saison w/ Yuzu, Sweet Lime Zest, and Grains of Paradise Cask (ABV 6.4%) - This dark amber saison combines the spiciness from saison yeast with subtle peppery, floral, and citrus notes from grains of paradise. The rich maltiness of the beer is balanced by tart yuzu juice and citrusy sweet lime zest, making this beer surprisingly refreshing.
Flying Bike Cooperative Brewery-Seattle
1) Belgian-style Blonde Ale (ABV 5.5% / IBU 22) - Belgian malt and yeast and continental hops in a classic easy-drinking but scrumptious Belgian-style blonde.
2) The Sinner (ABV 9.6%) - Barrel-aged Abbey-style Dark Strong Ale aged 8 months in bourbon barrels designed by co-op member Matt Fiess.
Flying Lion Brewing-Seattle
1) Belgian Quaddamnit (ABV 12% / IBU 49) - This once-per-year brew is strong and complex. The malt-heavy body is laced with intense notes of clove, banana, and dried fruit. In other words, superextrafruitytastesokindsofspicydoses!
2) Belgian Strong (ABV 9.0% / IBU 37) - The Belgian (Golden) Strong’s flavor is a complex blend of the fruity esters provided by the yeast with subtle additions of Coriander, Ginger, and Grains of Paradise. The high ABV is perfectly masked in this extraordinarily smooth beer!
3) Rom Pom Saison (ABV 4.0% / IBU 12) - Saison’s dramatic take on a seasonal, Winter Warmer. A pleasantly tart, low alcohol Saison blended with Pomegranates and just enough cinnamon and ginger to make your heart grow three sizes.
1) Farm Fractals (ABV 6.4% / IBU 38) - Collab with Almanac Brewing, this is our take on a Belgian Pale Ale. Fermented in oak puncheons and finished with Brett.
2) House Saison (ABV 6.3% / IBU 25) - Blend of French and Belgian Saison yeasts, this is a classic and clean Saison aged in oak puncheons.
3) Sound & Fury (ABV 6.8% / IBU 25) - Sound and Fury is a Brett IPA that was fermented and aged in one of our American oak foeders with a house brett culture. After a month of conditioning on oak, it was dry hopped in stainless with Mosaic and strata hops.
4) Horizon (ABV 5.0% / IBU 19) - A blend of house cultures fermented and aged in “Copper Patch” (our large oak foeder) for six months.
Ghostfish Brewing Company-Seattle
1) Field o’ Flowers (ABV 5% / IBU 55) - A co-fermented hoppy Belgian using two Belgian yeast strains, whole cone Eureka hops, and generous Eureka dry hop. This hazy golden brew brims with notes of grass, clover, honey, bit of citrus zest, and clove - leaving you revelling in a field o’ flowers...in January!
2) Shrouded Summit Belgian White (ABV 4.8% / IBU 20) - A hazy golden body capped with a snowy head. A wintry burst of juniper and citrus, on an updraft of Belgian-style aromatics. This beer was our “Everest”–a proper witbier, without wheat or barley! Through a feat of determination worthy of a mountaineer, we proved it was possible, and now we invite you to join us on the Summit. Busting with classic Belgian-style aromatics of banana, clove, and sweet orange, you won’t believe there’s no wheat!
3) 5th Anniversary Barrel-Aged Tart Saison (ABV 7% / IBU 19) - Early on, Ralph Waldo Emerson‘s famous quote inspired us to forge our own path. So many found our trail and have remained close to us along this incredible journey. Five years later we are forging ahead, pushing new boundaries. To celebrate our fifth anniversary, we wanted to do something unique. And so, we present our first packaged barrel aged beer. This tart saison style beer was aged five months in barrels that once housed a mix of Washington ground chardonnay, syrah, and cabernet varietals. The result of this labor of love is an exquisite array of bright fruit flavors (including pear, grape, and apple), balanced oak influence, and light spice. Thank you for believing in us! ~ The Ghostfish Team
Gig Harbor Brewing Company-Tacoma
1) White Whale Belgian Strong Ale (ABV 9% / IBU 20) - Medium body copper colored and unfiltered for full flavor. Slightly sweet allowing a subtle tartness to carry through. Fruity and earthy aromas increase with temperature rise. Mild alcohol impression with a balanced clean finish.
2) Goat Riders Belgian Pale Ale (ABV 5% / IBU 20) - Sweet biscuit flavor rounds to smooth toasted notes, sensation is light body, low hop presence. Aromas of a bread bakers pantry with hints of pepper, orange and spice. Deep golden hue. Unfiltered for full flavor.
1) Citranox (ABV 5.3%) - Barrel hopped bière des saisonniers, whole fresh Citra and Ekuanot hop flowers barreled for 4 months with our medium saison base for a delicious twist on a fresh hop ale.
2) Gyrophare (ABV 6.0%) - Barrel aged tart cherry sour, our light saison barrel base aged for more than a year in oak barrels with whole, fresh tart cherries.
3) Cabaret Sauvage 2019 (ABV 7.0%) - Our unique hybrid wine grape ale, mixed culture fermentation in oak on Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc grapes grown in the Yakima Valley AVA.
4) Palatine (ABV 10.1%) - Classic abbey-style Tripel, a balanced pairing of malt and fermentation aroma and flavor, built from light hued but flavorful malts.
5) Sombre 2019 (ABV 11.2%) - Yearly release of our abbey-style Quadrupel, created from a broad spectrum of medium- and dark-kilned malts and lightly aged in oak (5 mo.)
1) Red Rye Saison (ABV 8.6%) - Our fall/winter expression of the classic style, the red rye saison packs on the malt and spice with an abundance of rye. Classic saison earthy yeast tones give way to fruits and pepper, creating a very complex, yet surprisingly crisp and refreshing, ale.
2) 2019 Darkest Night Quad (ABV 11.2%) - This massive Belgian is complex yet surprisingly smooth, with a hint of the Italian plums that were added during secondary fermentation. Aromas of candied fruit, dates and a hint of raisin mingle with a sweet malt front end. Finishing clean with little warmth, this massive ale hides its alcohol content quite well.
Optimism Brewing Company-Seattle
1) Try (ABV 9.7%) - If a beer & champagne had a baby it’s a bit sweet and strong. Perfect for celebrations.
2) Bier Bier (ABV 6.5%) - A beer that is a tad sweet with dried dark fruit flavors, like drinking a beer Old Fashioned. A Belgian-style beer that is double the fun.
3) Forward (ABV 10.8%) - The fourth beer in our series of Belgians, this one is the boldest of them all with the rich, malty flavor of raisins and molasses.
Paradise Creek Brewery-Pullman
1) Huckleberry Pucker - Our flagship Huckleberry Pucker Berliner Weisse is kettle soured to make a clean tart base. The addition of just the right amount of Huckleberry makes it a crisp, refreshing and pucker-worthy beer. One try and you’ll be hooked for life!
2) Palouse Wit Belgian Style Witbier - We took the signature flavors we love to find in Witbiers and bumped them up a notch. Robust notes of orange peel, coriander and malted wheat shine through in this bright and flavorful Belgian Style ale.
3) Stocking Stuffer - It's a different beer every year, but the name stays the same! A classic Belgian Style Strong Ale, this year's Stocking Stuffer is a true winter warmer. With it’s warming alcohol presence balanced with a malty richness, you will first note the aroma of sweet banana sitting on top of mild bready notes. True to many Belgian Style beers, this Strong Ale is cloudy, a touch viscous, and slightly vicious! Enjoy sipping this beer by a nice warm fire!
1) Lilywhite Wit (ABV 5%) - Our belgian witbier is light, refreshing and bright citrus notes and coriander spice.
2) Belgian Crikey (ABV 6.8%) - This is a fun take on our Crikey IPA, that was fermented with a Belgian yeast strain just for Belgian Fest!
3) Pillars of Gold (ABV 6.9%) - Belgian Farmhouse Pale, brewed with Belgian yeast before secondary fermentation with brettanomyces. With aromas of fresh cut hay, pear, and lemon supported by a honey like malt character.
4) Windsor (ABV 6.4%) - Foeder aged rustic saison brettanomyces. We use rye, oats, and wheat to give a big, smooth body. The rye adds a spicy character that compliments the saison yeast.
5) Aeir (ABV 8.3%) - This spontaneously fermented beer is aged in oak for over a year before being blended to create a complex tartness and minerality.
6) Brettania Raspberry (ABV 6.3%) - Our Rustic Saison aged in oak with our house mixed culture and aged on raspberries. Effervescent, crisp with raspberry tartness
7) Brettania Guava (ABV 6.3%) - Our Rustic Saison aged in oak with our house mixed culture, aged on guava. Medium to light bodied, effervescent, with guava and a dry finish.
8) Farm to Oak Aprium (ABV 7.6%) - Our Blegian Blonde aged in oak with our house mixed culture and aged on fresh Apriums.
San Juan Island Brewing Company-San Juan Island
1) San Juan Dubbel (ABV 6.8% / IBU 20) - Copper-red, Rich, Warming
2) San Juan Tripel (ABV 9.5% / IBU 30) - Deep Gold, Sneaky, Dry Finish
Silver City Brewery-Bremerton
1) Charming Disarmer Wild Peach Sour Ale (ABV 5.4%)
2) Foxy Lady Flanders Cherry Sour (ABV 6.2%)
3) Plump Bastard Wine Barrel-Aged Sour Scotch Ale on Plums (ABV 9.9%)
4) Funky XOXO Sour Belgian Black Ale (ABV 6.7%)
5) French Kiss - Cherry Saison (ABV 5.6%)
6) Big Bad World Hazy Belgian IPA (ABV 9.2%)
1) Foeder Beer (ABV 6.8% / IBU 17) - The first beer to come out of our beautiful new foeder was brewed with locally grown barley, wheat and spelt malts, fermented with one of our favorite Belgian yeast strains and conditioned on Brett. The beer greets you with an aroma of pineapple and tropical fruit followed by subtle spiciness on the palate and balanced acidity.
2) Rustic Saison (ABV 7.0% / IBU 6) - This blend of 3 of our favorite oak aged beers exhibits a depth that can only come from extended time in barrels. Bracing acidity balances sweet cherry notes for a complex, delicious finish.
1) Stupid Monk-e - Belgian Tripel Style Abbey Ale (ABV 9.5% / IBU 32) - Our highest awarded beer! Spicy, yet fruity with notes of clove, coriander, and orange peel. The malt character is supported by fresh clover honey.
2) Mystic - Belgian Dark Strong Ale (ABV 10% / IBU 27) - A dark, complex, substantial Belgian ale with a delicious blend of malty richness, dark fruit flavors, and spicy elements. Complex, rich and smooth.
3) Barrel Aged Mystic - Barrel Aged Belgian Dark Strong Ale (ABV 11% / IBU 27) - A dark, complex, substantial Belgian ale with a delicious blend of malty richness, dark fruit flavors, and spicy elements. Complex, rich and smooth. Rounded off with the deep character of whiskey barrels for a deeply satisfying brew.
1) Nelson Sauvignon Blanc: Wood Fermented Wine Ale (ABV 8.0%) - A wine-inspired brew in collab with Field House Brewing in Abbotsford, BC. Bursting mango and ripe apricot notes met with force by the unmistakable dankness of New Zealand hops. Ultra-dry, grape forward, and uniquely wine-like.
2) Sauraha Foeder-Aged Sour Blond Ale (ABV 7.2%) - A foeder-aged mixed fermentation Belgian-style blond ale pulsating with layers of bright complexity and unrestrained wood-derived funk and tartness.
3) Oud Bruin Flanders Brown Ale (ABV 6.7%)
A classic Belgian-styled offering aged for one year in one of our American oak Foeders.
4) Pomegranate Tart Shake Shake Shake IPA (ABV 6.0%) - Cross-country collaboration with Cinderlands Brew Co. in Pittsburgh, PA. An exploration of the critical balance between sweet and tart. Lactose sugar sweetness yinging alongside the yang of Lactobacillus-born acidity, pomegranate, and a healthy Ekuanot and Sabro dry hopping.
WABL Beer - For Members Only
Wild Warehouse Barrel-Aged Farmhouse Ale (ABV 6.8%)
Belgian-style saison aged nine months in Washington Chardonnay barrels. Gold - GABF 2015, Bronze - World Beer Cup 2016.