The Economic Development Council (EDC) of San Juan County is launching a County Fair fundraising campaign in order to raise $6,250 to support trades and tech training programs in the islands, during Fair week, August 17-20, 2022.
Private donations are a crucial component of funding EDC programs, which aim to address local issues of underemployment and workforce shortages with courses in plumbing, carpentry, surveying, computer programming, and more.
EDC trades and tech training programs are offered for both adults and youth, specifically in high-wage, high-demand skills. The EDC has trained over 100 local workers in 2021-2022, and over 400 over the past 5 years. Donations will allow these critically important programs to continue.
The San Juan Island Community Foundation is helping the EDC to raise funds through their County Fair Giving Campaign. Through this program, the first $1,000 in donations will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the Community Foundation. The EDC is also eligible for up to $2,500 in bonus grants awarded throughout the fair.
Donors can contribute in-person at the Community Foundation fair booth, online at www.sjicf.org/fair, by phone to SJICF at 360-378-1001, or by mailing a check payable to SJICF (dated between Aug. 17–20) with Economic Development Council in the memo line to P.O. Box 1352, Friday Harbor, WA 98250.
The Community Foundation will grant the raised funds to the EDC following the County Fair. To be eligible for matching funds, donations to the EDC must be made during the four days of the 2022 County Fair – Aug. 17-20.
The EDC will also have their own booth at the County Fair this year, for the first time ever, with hands-on trades and tech activities for kids, as well as informational handouts about their many programs and resources. They are looking forward to making more connections within the community and hope islanders will stop by to say hello and learn more.
The San Juan County Economic Development Council (EDC) strives to support small rural enterprises, and conduct projects to stimulate new job creation, strengthen the economic base for working families, and support overall quality of life for islanders. Learn more at sanjuansedc.org.
- Larsen tours False Bay and San Juan County Fair
- Leadership San Juan Islands is part of the 2022 SJICF Fair Fundraiser
- “Grow the Good!” with San Juan Island Prevention Coalition Volunteers!
- August 17-20: Quilting Guild raising funds for Comfort Quilts through Community Foundation
- San Juan Island Women's Fund awarded $304K to local nonprofits since 2003
Latest from Sharon
- BLM approves management plan for San Juan Islands National Monument
- Feb. 4: Port of Friday Harbor listening session at Roche Harbor Resort
- Cantwell on Senate Floor: “No Company Will Ever Be Able to Stick a Mine on Top of Some of the Best Salmon Habitat in the World”
- Carol Breeden took off on her last adventure
- San Juan Island’s Madrone Cellars Named Finalist in Good Food Awards