September 25, 1915 - November 26, 2006
Bill was born in Seattle. His parents were Edward Lee and Lucy Brant, early northwest pioneers. Bill attended Lincoln High School and the University of Washington School of Architecture. He married Beverley Dorr in Tacoma in 1938.
With World War II approaching, he did tool design work at Boeing, later moving to Santa Monica where he became involved in the first Atomic bomb project. After the war he did store design work while studying photography.
In 1949 Bill and Beverley opened the Brant Photographers, Inc. in the Bellevue Square. They operated their studio for over 30 years until retiring to San Juan Island. His photographic work consisted of portrait, commercial, aerial, magazine, text book and over 2000 wedding assignments.
In the early 1950s Bill became fascinated with British sports cars and raced his MGTD and later a Jaguar XK 120 when not busy photographing races for Road and Track magazine.
Time permitting, many happy days were spent at their Mitchell Bay cabin with lots of salmon fishing. He was a member of the San Juan Island Golf Club and a charter member of the San Juan Island Yacht Club where he served as the 1979 Commodore.
Many wonderful trips were made north on the Starduster and later the cutter Tangerine.
Six years were spent as a Port Commissioner and recently four years on the Marine Resources Committee. Bill's love for the islands was so strong he felt he must have salt water in his veins.
Survivors are his daughter Becky Shull of Burns, Oregon; grandson, John Workman and great grandson, Shade Noble Workman of Friday Harbor; and sister, Peggy Donahue of Honolulu, Hawaii.
Interment will be in the San Juan Valley Cemetery. Arrangements are in the care of Evans Funeral Chapel and Crematory, Inc., Anacortes, WA.
To share memories of Bill, please sign the online guest register at www.evanschapel.com.
- Halloween is just around the corner!
- San Juan fire crew heads east
- WILMA G. BAILEY September 18, 1919-September 16, 2009
- DARLENE WAHL, 1961-2011
- JAMES F. LANE III July 6, 1934 - October 19, 2011
- MICHAEL B. ROGER 1941-2011
- CHARLES LEE ROBERSON September 11, 2011
- Spring Sprint Triathlon Registration Open
- December Resurrection Salmon Derby offers $10K 1st Place Prize
- TOM C. PEMBERTON November 10, 1931 to April 4, 2008
- JIM CAHAIL January 1, 1931-December 23, 2011
- ANN ELIZABETH MAHONEY PULLMAN August 16, 1942 - January 16, 2010
- Andi Williams
- ALAN BENJAMIN VAINES February 2, 1931 - June 9, 2011