As you walk through the San Juan Island Library you will notice beautiful works of art. Art adorns our walls, and you'll find pieces on our end tables and the fireplace mantel. When you are in the Library you're surrounded by art. It's pretty special, and one of the many things I love about our community Library.
The San Juan Island Library District encourages the exhibition of artwork because it believes that artwork in the building enhances the Library environment for patrons. In this effort, the Library has an Art Policy and an Art Committee.
Art displays and exhibits would not be possible without our dedicated Art Committee members. This dedicated group of volunteers coordinates art exhibits in the Library six times a year. They recommend, develop, and implement temporary and permanent exhibits of art in the building.
The next Art Exhibit starts this Saturday, July 30th. The theme is Textures and Patterns. The Art Committee is accepting 2 or 3-D artwork of any media type. Everyone is welcome to bring art for the show. Please bring your 2 or 3-D artwork ready to hang or display to the Library on Saturday from 10am to 12noon.
Three other Art Shows are scheduled this year:
- Seas and Seashores (Oct.1);
- Art that Tells a Story (Dec.10);
- Photography (Jan. 2012)
The Library also has a permanent art collection, and patrons often ask us about our art. Right now the Art Committee is in the process of putting together a guide to the Library's art collection. The guide will be available at the Library once it's complete.
San Juan Island Library
- Reading Resolutions SJI Library
- Great Opening Lines—Part II
- Special collections highlighted
- Library busy with holiday happenings and more
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- San Juan Island Library unveils 2012-2017 Long Range Strategic Plan
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- Halloween is just around the corner!
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- What’s New @Your Library
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- Buttons, Books and Best SRP
- Changes and additions
- Public libraries fill private needs
- Learn a Language @ Your Library
- It's time to stock up at the Annual Book Sale