We’ve been wondering when it would finally happen, as Amazon made the announcement in early spring of a soon-to-be partnership with public libraries and OverDrive. Now it is official - the Kindle is compatible with OverDrive.
What does this mean for San Juan Island Library users? Kindle users can now check out Kindle books from the San Juan Island Library via OverDrive and the Washington Anytime Library, and read the book on any generation Kindle device or free Kindle reading app.
Many other mobile devices are already compatible with OverDrive, such as the Nook, Sony Reader, and iPad. The Washington Anytime Library, powered by OverDrive, is accessible to any San Juan Island Library card holder. Go to www.sjlib.org and click on the Washington Anytime Library banner from our home page to start downloading e-books to your portable device.
The Library also has an updated microfilm/microfiche reader for use. The machine allows for both microfilm and microfiche, and prints too!
Several months ago the San Juan Island National Historical Park donated the machine to the Library. The Library was very happy to receive such a nice piece of equipment, and patrons were very excited about its printing capability. At the time, the machine only worked with microfiche, not microfilm. The Friends of the San Juan Island Library recently purchased a new carrier for the machine which allows for both microfilm and microfiche options.
Now, the Library is well-equipped for genealogy, newspaper, and other types of research. A big thank you to the Friends of the Library and the San Juan Island National Historical Park!
There is always something new at the Library. Books, videos, and books on CD are added to our collection on a regular basis. Go to the Library’s website to browse newly acquired materials from our catalog, or come on over to the Library and find something new on our shelves.
Library Director firstname.lastname@example.org
San Juan Island Library
- Reading Resolutions SJI Library
- Great Opening Lines—Part II
- Arts Council board elected
- Art and Imagination
- The Importance of Arts to a Community
- Special collections highlighted
- Library busy with holiday happenings and more
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- Halloween is just around the corner!
- Friends are true friends of the Library
- Turning the pages into fall
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- Buttons, Books and Best SRP
- Changes and additions
- It's time to stock up at the Annual Book Sale
- Art welcomed for Library Art exhibits
- Learn a Language @ Your Library
- Public libraries fill private needs
- First Charter Commission meeting January 7
- Supreme Court denies review of Johnson's request for injunction