Maybe it is the cooler weather or perhaps it’s that school is back in session, but whatever the reason the San Juan Island Library is hop, hop, hopping! Thirty young school-age children came to our first After-School Read Aloud of the season on Monday. They had a great time listening to Kathy Babbitt read from Pinocchio. Older kids enjoyed discussing the book and the movie; I am Number Four, at Book Club Saturday evening.
It’s not just children having fun at the Library. The Conscientious Projector Film Series that began back in March is very popular among islanders. This film series is hosted by Rob Simpson and is co-sponsored by the Friends of the Library. It is intended to give the public an opportunity to watch and discuss thought provoking documentary films on a monthly basis. The next film screening is Monday, October 17 at 7 pm. Call the Library at 378-2798 for movie title information..
Our in-house only e-readers are also very popular. These readers are available for people who want to “try” an e-reader to see how it works, but do not want to read an entire book on the device. The Library has a Nook and a Kindle for in-house use. .
Of course, public computers continue to be used on a regular basis. The Library has a computer replacement plan set in place in an effort to remain current with technology. This week the Library will be replacing two of its public computers and adding an additional one. Floyd’s been working hard preparing the computers for use. Stop by and give them a whirl. .
Our Vegetarian cookbooks are flying off the shelves. October is national Vegetarian Awareness Month, so Jen and Heidi put together a terrific display of vegetarian related materials. The cookbooks are very hot items. Stop by and see our favorite vegetarian picks, then take one home to enjoy.
Library Director firstname.lastname@example.org
San Juan Island Library
- Reading Resolutions SJI Library
- Great Opening Lines—Part II
- Arts Council board elected
- Art and Imagination
- The Importance of Arts to a Community
- Special collections highlighted
- Library busy with holiday happenings and more
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- Halloween is just around the corner!
- Friends are true friends of the Library
- Turning the pages into fall
- What’s New @Your Library
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- Buttons, Books and Best SRP
- Changes and additions
- It's time to stock up at the Annual Book Sale
- Art welcomed for Library Art exhibits
- Learn a Language @ Your Library
- Public libraries fill private needs
- First Charter Commission meeting January 7
- Supreme Court denies review of Johnson's request for injunction