I’ve lived here almost a year, so this is my first fall on San Juan Island. Autumn is my favorite season. I love the cooler weather, changing colors, sporting events, harvest time activities, and warm meals. San Juan Island has a huge line up of fun things to do this season, from a harvest parade and sowing native plants, to pumpkin carving and ghost stories.
The San Juan Island Library is also ready to help you get in the mood for autumn. Some our recent additions are very “fall-friendly”.
One of my favorites is The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons by Amanda Blake Soule. This book is organized by month and explores ways to share and create memories with family by experiencing nature. It includes projects, recipes, and things to do. The photographs are very enticing.
Another great book for cooler weather that just arrived is the Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook by Deborah Robson and Carol Ekarius. The book features more than 200 animals and the fibers they produce. The photographs are gorgeous, and the book feels like a very nicely illustrated encyclopedia.
Hot off the press and new to our shelves is Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts. It includes year-round projects for gifts, decorations, wearing, eating, and celebrating. The Halloween chapters have some terrific techniques for carving pumpkins. They actually turned some pumpkins into a village and an owl. You may want to grab this book and enter the NAPA Pumpkin Carving Contest this Saturday!
The Pacific Feast: a Cook's Guide to West Coast Foraging and Cuisine by Jennifer Hahn is a guide to harvesting and cooking wild foods. From berries and roses to sea vegetables and shellfish, there’s lots of information and recipes, too.
Finally, fall wouldn't seem right without beer and football. If you're hankering to brew your beer at home, then The Complete Homebrew Beer Book by George Hummel is for you. Whether you’re a beginner brewer or ready to take your skills to the next level, this book has tips and recipes to keep you busy in any season.
Experience the joys of autumn at the San Juan Island Library.
San Juan Island Library
- Arts Council board elected
- Art and Imagination
- The Importance of Arts to a Community
- Special collections highlighted
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- Friends are true friends of the Library
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- What’s New @Your Library
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- First Charter Commission meeting January 7
- Supreme Court denies review of Johnson's request for injunction
- Colton Harris-Moore's letter to Judge Churchill
- Source of Dixon house fire found
- Burn permits available now; season begins Oct. 1
- First draft of solid waste plan online (story updated)
- Solid waste changes expected end of August
- Preview of future under Solid Waste Plan
- Consequences of Solid Waste Vote spelled out
- Changes to non-conforming 75 percent rebuild rule in the works
- Public hearing continued on CAO ordinance
- For the Record: The Closing of Jones Family Farms Store