2011 has been a busy and eventful year for the nonprofit Friends of the San Juan Island Library. The group has been through a lot of change since November, as maintenance work in the Library’s basement has kept the Friends from using it to store and sort donated items.
Without a convenient place to sort and store books, the Friends had to come up with a new way to accept book donations. Donations are now accepted at the Library on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1 to 3 p.m..
A Friend sits at the Treasure Cove in the Library during those times and waits for people to drop off books. Afterwards the books are moved to a storage unit to keep for the Annual Book Sale and other fundraising events.
The Friends are working harder than ever. The Annual Book Sale in the summer was a big success. Lots of volunteers assisted with sorting, moving, set-up, tear down, and take away.
Currently the Friends are looking for volunteers to sell books, book bags, t-shirts, beaded jewelry, greeting cards, and more at the Treasure Cove in the Library. The Treasure Cove is open from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and from 1 to 3 p.m. on Sunday.
If you think you may be interested in becoming a volunteer for the Friends of the Library, stop by the Treasure Cove during open hours and speak to a Friend.
You’ll soon see the Friends at the Island Artisan’s Annual Holiday Marketplace in late November selling handcrafted jewelry, holiday cards, bookmarks, and other gift items. These gifts are handcrafted by our own Friends. Oh, it’s fun to be a Friend of the Library!
Please remember to drop of your gently used books and videos to the Friends at the Library on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 1 to 3pm. Book donations are down this year, so please take note of the new donation hours and think of the Friends when you’re cleaning out your book shelves.
Their big annual membership drive is coming in November A membership request form will arrive in the mail shortly. Becoming a member of the Friends is easy, and your membership fee goes to support Library programs and services.
I’m very grateful to the Friends for all their support, work, and dedication this year. I know it hasn’t been the easiest of years. Thank you, Friends, for all you do.
San Juan Island Library www.sjlib.org
- Arts Council board elected
- Art and Imagination
- The Importance of Arts to a Community
- Allowing Things to Work Out
- LUST: THE COMMODITY
- MY FRIEND AXEL
- Special collections highlighted
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- Turning the pages into fall
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- What’s New @Your Library
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- First Charter Commission meeting January 7
- Supreme Court denies review of Johnson's request for injunction
- Colton Harris-Moore's letter to Judge Churchill
- Source of Dixon house fire found
- Burn permits available now; season begins Oct. 1
- First draft of solid waste plan online (story updated)
- Solid waste changes expected end of August
- Preview of future under Solid Waste Plan
- Consequences of Solid Waste Vote spelled out