Are you ready for Halloween? We’re getting in the spirit at the Library! Stop on by and check out our spooky book display, or attend one of our Halloween inspired programs! Whether you love to read scary stories, or you want to show off your new costume, we have something fun in store for everyone at the Library! On Thursday, October 27th students in grades 5-8th can come to the Meeting Room to carve their own pumpkins from 3:15-4:15pm. All materials and supplies are graciously provided by the Friends of the Library. All you need to bring is your creativity!
Do you have a costume you’d like to wear before Halloween? Preschoolers & toddlers are invited to dress up & come to our Storytime on Friday, October 28th at 10:30am for some Halloween fun in the Children’s Area!
Later in the evening, on Friday, October 28th adults can attend our “Ghost Stories of Historic San Juan Island” program at 6:30pm. We invite you to hear local islanders talk about the ghost stories that have stood the test of time on San Juan Island… if you dare! Robin Jacobson, Sandy Strehlou, Mike Vouri and others will be at the Library to tell you about the spooky & not so spooky spirits that have been said to inhabit our Island. This event is co-sponsored by the San Juan Islands Visitors Bureau and Town of Friday Harbor Historic Preservation Program.
Still looking for more Halloween family fun? Saturday at 2:30pm Chocolate Moose Theater will present their Halloween Puppet Show in the Meeting Room. Watch Allie the Alligator and Blatt the Moose get ready to celebrate the holiday! This program is provided courtesy of Friends of the San Juan Island Library.
Lastly, if you just want to settle in with a good book or movie, we have lots of those too! The Children’s Area has a great display of Halloween books like “Hallo-wiener” by Dav Pilkey or the “Bunnicula” series by Deborah and James Howe. Adults or teens who feel like spooking themselves can enjoy the classic works of Edgar Allen Poe, or learn how to find ghosts by reading “The Ghost Hunter’s Guide to Seattle and the Puget Sound” by Jeff Dwyer. The Library also has a great collection of Alfred Hitchcock films, along with some Scooby Doo mystery classics. Obviously there are lots of treats waiting for you at the Library! Have a happy & safe Halloween everyone!
San Juan Island Library www.sjlib.org
- Reading Resolutions SJI Library
- Great Opening Lines—Part II
- Spring Sprint Triathlon Registration Open
- JIM CAHAIL January 1, 1931-December 23, 2011
- WILMA G. BAILEY September 18, 1919-September 16, 2009
- Special collections highlighted
- Library busy with holiday happenings and more
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- San Juan Island Library unveils 2012-2017 Long Range Strategic Plan
- DARLENE WAHL, 1961-2011
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- MICHAEL B. ROGER 1941-2011
- JAMES F. LANE III July 6, 1934 - October 19, 2011
- December Resurrection Salmon Derby offers $10K 1st Place Prize
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- What’s New @Your Library
- CHARLES LEE ROBERSON September 11, 2011
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- San Juan fire crew heads east
- Buttons, Books and Best SRP
- Changes and additions
- Public libraries fill private needs