The library is now recruiting volunteers and participants for its 2011-2012 Reading Buddies program. This literacy enrichment program matches community volunteers one-on-one with elementary school-aged students to help foster a love of books and lifelong reading habits.
The individual attention and one-on-one reading time help children practice reading aloud in a nurturing setting to build reading confidence. By selecting books, talking about stories, and sharing books, children begin to see how reading can open their minds to new learning experiences. Reading Buddies is also a great way for members of the community to share their own rich, varied reading experiences and favorite tales with the island’s youngest citizens.
Reading Buddies meet for weekly half/hour sessions throughout the school year at the library on Tuesday or Wednesday afternoons. Reading Buddies do not meet during holidays public schools. All community volunteer reading buddies must be at least 16 years of age and complete a background check before being matched. Reading Buddies is a collaborative program open to all elementary school-aged children of San Juan Island. Each volunteer will receive a training packet and brief training session before beginning. The packet contains:
- Information on how to read with a child
- Different reading developmental stages of children
- Great books and authors to share with children
For more information about becoming a community reading buddy volunteer or to register your child, please contact us at 378-2798 or stop by the library today to pick up a brochure and application.
Assistant Director/Youth Services
San Juan Island Library www.sjlib.org
- Reading Resolutions SJI Library
- Great Opening Lines—Part II
- Arts Council board elected
- Art and Imagination
- The Importance of Arts to a Community
- Special collections highlighted
- Library busy with holiday happenings and more
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- Halloween is just around the corner!
- Friends are true friends of the Library
- Turning the pages into fall
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- What’s New @Your Library
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- Buttons, Books and Best SRP
- Changes and additions
- It's time to stock up at the Annual Book Sale
- Art welcomed for Library Art exhibits
- Learn a Language @ Your Library
- Public libraries fill private needs
- First Charter Commission meeting January 7
- Supreme Court denies review of Johnson's request for injunction