Winter doesn't officially begin until December 22, but I'm sure you'll agree it's starting to feel a lot like winter. Right about this time of year is when I most enjoy cozying up around the fireplace with a warm blanket and a good book. I don't have a fireplace at home anymore, so I really appreciate the one in my home away from home – the San Juan Island Library.
I invite you to browse the Library's holiday display for some festive cozy reads, grab a book and warm up by the fireplace. The latest by Debbie Macomber, 1225 Christmas Tree Lane, is sure to appeal to romance readers who like a little bit of suspense. The Christmas Shoppe by Melody Carlson is new to our collection and another charming story to read during the holiday season. For a heartwarming story with lots of local flavor, try Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas. We’ve got this title in Large Print, too.
The San Juan Island Library is a great place to be on a chilly, windy day. The Library also has many events happening throughout December, some festive and cozy, and others of an educational nature. This Friday, December 2nd is Holiday Family Film night and we're showing Disney’s A Christmas Carol. The festivities begin at 7:00 pm. The following day the Library is hosting a very special puppet show with Allie the Alligator and Blatt the Moose. The puppet show starts at 2pm. On Monday, December 5th at 6:30 pm the SJC Sheriff’s Office and Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services is hosting a program called “Protecting Our Children. All adults interested in protecting children are invited to attend a discussion forum and initial training.
Many more programs are scheduled for December. There's a Santa Party for preschoolers, Book Club for older kids, and an afterschool craft program for children in grades K-12. Adults can attend a writing workshop, and watch Cary Grant films. Please go to the Library’s website for a complete listing and full details.
San Juan Island Library www.sjlib.org
- Reading Resolutions SJI Library
- Great Opening Lines—Part II
- Special collections highlighted
- Books for cooks
- Survey Says...
- San Juan Island Library unveils 2012-2017 Long Range Strategic Plan
- Recruiting for Reading Buddies Program
- Halloween is just around the corner!
- Films, stories, e-readers and more...
- What’s New @Your Library
- Celebrate Banned Books Week
- Don't Fix it, Read Something Else
- Buttons, Books and Best SRP
- Changes and additions
- Public libraries fill private needs
- Learn a Language @ Your Library
- Art welcomed for Library Art exhibits
- It's time to stock up at the Annual Book Sale
- Hands to Clasp
- The 2010 Gifting Guide for the Virtual Gifter: Happy iHolidays