I became a year-round resident of Orcas in 2005. Since then I have become increasingly aware that many people in our community struggle to find a safe and affordable place to live. Several times, a person helping me in a store has asked, "Do you know of a place to rent? My house is becoming a vacation rental and I must move out within a few weeks." I feel so sad for them. I know there is an extreme shortage of affordable places to live.
The problem is so extreme that some people resort to camping in the woods without adequate toilet facilities. This cannot be good for them, for public health generally, or for our environment. With so much dense unhealthy forest I am concerned about wildfire. Without a source of water to fully quench campfire embers, there is a risk of wildfire, especially during windy dry weather. A catastrophic wildfire could devastate our island.
Affordable housing is naturally modest in size, especially compared to many privately built homes in our islands. The environmental impacts per person are smaller for affordable homes. The Home Fund initiative will favor low-impact projects.
This is my community. I rely on talented, hard-working island people every day. But a lack of affordable housing is making life ever harder for working people who are essential for our community. I hear of people offered jobs as teachers, chefs, skilled builders, even lawyers, who have declined a job in our county because they cannot afford a place to live. I support the Home Fund on this November's ballot because it will help create low impact affordable homes.
- Alexander: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Nick Power: I know where the problems are in the county
- Gaylord running for 7th term as county Prosecutor
- Did Krebs and Gaylord lie to the county Council?
- Brennan: Vote No on Initiative 1639
- Ibold: A reluctant Yes for Homes
- Jensen: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Brandli would like to be the next District Court Judge
- Jewett's goal to be a judge may be in sight
- Weiss: Endorses Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- Delay and Rands: Vote for Brandli for District Court
- Drath: Vote Yes for Homes
- Lange: Why I Support Randy Gaylord for Prosecuting Attorney
- OPALCO supports WA I-1631
- Appel: Our Necessary Alliance
- Retired FBI agent endorses Asher for Sheriff
- Fouquette: How do I fairly navigate the Sheriff’s Guild endorsement?
- Brennan: I-1639 is Wasted Energy
- Brash: Vote Yes for Homes
- Rhoads: Vote Yes for Homes
- Graham: Vote Yes for Homes
- Wilding: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Kaiman: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Peter: Supports Krebs for Sheriff
- Sheriff's Guild endorses Krebs
- Brennan: Doesn't trust Sheriff Krebs
- OPALCO Supports Affordable Housing Solutions: Vote YES FOR HOMES
- Johns: Supported Krebs for sheriff in 2014, will not vote for him in 2018
- Strutz: Vote Yes for Homes
- Roberts: Vote Yes for Homes
- Ford: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Franciosi: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Murray: Affordable Housing - From A Senior Point of View
- Grout: Vote Yes for Homes
- Appleton: Commends Gaylord and Jewett
- Magee: Vote Yes for Homes referendum
- deGavre: Why I won't vote for Gaylord
- Zwilling: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Does the Brady letter matter?
- Moe: Three Reasons to Re-elect Randy Gaylord
- Six attorneys express support for Nick Powers
- Latsinova: Supports Nick Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- Olson: Businesses hurt by affordable housing shortage
- Milliken: Supports Asher for Sheriff
- Flanery: Supports Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- How much are the candidates spending and who is contributing?
- Pollard: Time to retire Gaylord
- Guest Column by Alex MacLeod: Gaylord ignored warnings about disgraced detective
- Stamper: Supports Gaylord for Prosecuting Attorney
- Dustrude: Supports Gaylord for Prosecuting Attorney
- Orcas Resource Center: Vote Yes for affordable housing REET
- Have questions about Affordable housing REET?
- Drozd: Supports Gaylord for prosecutor
- Lawrence: Vote yes for Affordable Housing REET
- Jung: Vote yes on Affordable Housing REET
- Barbour: Vote Yes on Housing REET
- Ever wonder how ballots are counted? Process may surprise you
- Kenimond: Supports Nick Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- Pederson: Supports Gaylord for PA
- Tharp: Support Nick Power for San Juan County Prosecutor