We will have the chance to vote for the San Juan County Homes Fund in the November 6 election. You may have seen articles and letters in the Sounder, seen the booth at the Library Fair and at other venues, calling us to vote YES for Homes, not Yes for Houses. This is an important distinction.
Many of us come to Orcas and the other islands to call it home, a place to raise children, develop a career, expand our appreciation of nature’s beauty. But a house or an apartment is a necessity in finding a home and the San Juans do not have enough housing to enable all who work here to call the islands Home. They must spend disproportionate amounts on transportation, gas for their cars, daily trips on the ferry, and time away from their families.
A win for YES for Homes in November can dramatically increase the availability of affordable housing in San Juan County and insure that we address the lack of opportunity for working people to live here and for employers to fully staff their businesses.
My father grew up in a tar paper house in West Virginia. It was not until I was in 9th grade that my parents were able to earn and borrow enough money to buy two acres and build a house on the eastern slope of the Colorado Rockies.
I am committed to making the opportunity for the workers of San Juan County to fulfill their dreams of affordable housing and establishing a Home here, a place that many of us call Paradise.
For more information see the YES for Homes website at https://yesforhomes.net/about/.
- Voter turnout 81.43 percent in San Juan County; Updated vote totals
- Election results: Krebs, Gaylord and Jewett win, affordable housing REET approved
- Grifo: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Gaydos: Supports Gaylord for county Prosecutor
- Ranker: Supports Jewett for District Court Judge
- Longan: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Storey: Supports Asher for Sheriff
- Editorial: A hesitant Yes For Homes
- Editorial: Brandli is the logical choice for District Court Judge
- Mock Election now open for all Washington K-12 students
- 44 Businesses and Organizations: We support Yes for Homes
- Evans and Brownell: Support Randy Gaylord
- Samish Indian Nation Chairman: Supports Initiative 1631
- Mager: Elect Steve Brandli
- Some ballots cast, others still on the way to voters' mailboxes
- Alexander: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Nick Power: I know where the problems are in the county
- Gaylord running for 7th term as county Prosecutor
- Did Krebs and Gaylord lie to the county Council?
- Brennan: Vote No on Initiative 1639
- Ibold: A reluctant Yes for Homes
- Jensen: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Jewett's goal to be a judge may be in sight
- Brandli would like to be the next District Court Judge
- Weiss: Endorses Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- Delay and Rands: Vote for Brandli for District Court
- Drath: Vote Yes for Homes
- Lange: Why I Support Randy Gaylord for Prosecuting Attorney
- OPALCO supports WA I-1631
- Appel: Our Necessary Alliance
- Retired FBI agent endorses Asher for Sheriff
- Fouquette: How do I fairly navigate the Sheriff’s Guild endorsement?
- Brennan: I-1639 is Wasted Energy
- Brash: Vote Yes for Homes
- Graham: Vote Yes for Homes
- Kaiman: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Peter: Supports Krebs for Sheriff
- Sheriff's Guild endorses Krebs
- Wilding: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- OPALCO Supports Affordable Housing Solutions: Vote YES FOR HOMES
- Johns: Supported Krebs for sheriff in 2014, will not vote for him in 2018
- Strutz: Vote Yes for Homes
- Brennan: Doesn't trust Sheriff Krebs
- Roberts: Vote Yes for Homes
- Ford: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Franciosi: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Murray: Affordable Housing - From A Senior Point of View
- Grout: Vote Yes for Homes
- Appleton: Commends Gaylord and Jewett
- deGavre: Why I won't vote for Gaylord
- Magee: Vote Yes for Homes referendum
- Zwilling: Supports Brandli for District Court Judge
- Does the Brady letter matter?
- Moe: Three Reasons to Re-elect Randy Gaylord
- Six attorneys express support for Nick Powers
- Latsinova: Supports Nick Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- Olson: Businesses hurt by affordable housing shortage
- Milliken: Supports Asher for Sheriff
- Alderton: Our community needs safe and affordable homes
- Guest Column by Alex MacLeod: Gaylord ignored warnings about disgraced detective
- Flanery: Supports Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- How much are the candidates spending and who is contributing?
- Pollard: Time to retire Gaylord
- Stamper: Supports Gaylord for Prosecuting Attorney
- Dustrude: Supports Gaylord for Prosecuting Attorney
- Orcas Resource Center: Vote Yes for affordable housing REET
- Have questions about Affordable housing REET?
- Drozd: Supports Gaylord for prosecutor
- Lawrence: Vote yes for Affordable Housing REET
- Jung: Vote yes on Affordable Housing REET
- Barbour: Vote Yes on Housing REET
- Ever wonder how ballots are counted? Process may surprise you
- Kenimond: Supports Nick Power for Prosecuting Attorney
- Pederson: Supports Gaylord for PA
- Tharp: Support Nick Power for San Juan County Prosecutor