To the Editor:
I understand that the San Juan County Public Hospital District # 1 will have a special meeting with its present Board on Tuesday, November 12, when it is expected to vote in favor of the its proposed merger with San Juan County Fire District #3. Four new members were elected on November 5 to serve on the incoming Hospital District Board, but their elections will not be certified by the State until November 25. Moreover, they will not begin their work on the Board until early December.
As a retired family physician who practiced here at the Inter Island Medical Center from 1990 to 1997 and was a member of the Hospital District Board in the early 1990s, I urge the current Hospital District Board to slow down and not take such an important vote until all four newly elected Board members are on board and prepared to make such a decision.
This delay is especially important since there are still many unanswered questions about the merger, and further that Bob Jarman, Chair of Fire District 3 Board, has indicated in a recent letter that he is not prepared to move forward with the merger until there is full commitment of the commissioners, especially including the incoming commissioners.
Moving to such a premature vote without full involvement of the new commissioners would be irresponsible, reckless, and likely to lead to unfortunate results down the road that can be avoided by taking more time to sort through the still unresolved questions about the merger.
Dr. John Geyman
- PHD to hold special meeting Nov. 12 in Friday Harbor
- Sharp: Don't put the cart before the horse with proposed EMS/Fire merger
- Drath: Opposes hasty move by Schwinge, Edwards and Smith
- UPDATE: Fire won't sign ILA unless ALL PHD commissioners agree on it
- PHD Board continues rush to adopt contract, will meet Oct. 21 and 23
- Madsen: Urging PHD to slow down merger process
- PHD continues discussing EMS/Fire contract October 16
- Why are Smith, Edwards determined to turn San Juan EMS over to Fire in the next six weeks?
- EMS/Fire Dept draft contract tabled for at least a week
- Draft EMS/Fire contract put on hold
- Under proposed EMS/Fire contract: It's merger first, details later
- Highlights of CAG report on Fire and EMS integration
- Appears CAG is recommending SJ EMS integrate with San Juan Island Fire Dept
- CAG's decison on SJ EMS and Fire Dept. consolidation recommendation to be announced April 2
- SJ EMS Chief quits; recommends EMS join Fire Department