At least seven and possibly more Friday Harbor athletes will compete in the Class 2B Track and Field Championships in Cheney later this month. Senior Kyle Jangard (discus), senior Nick Armstrong (800-meter run), sophomore Jacob Kaden (3200), junior Sara Rist (javelin), sophomore Ciera Bailey (800) and freshman Natalie Meenan (400) won their events at the Class 2B District 1 Championships at Lummi High School Wednesday, May 11. The winner of District 1 events automatically qualify for the state meet.
Friday Harbor senior Will Christison. Matt Pranger photo
Senior Will Christison finished a close second in the 110 hurdles but his mark was good enough to qualify for state. The Friday Harbor girls 4 x 100 relay team should also earn a berth, and the Wolverine girls 4 x 200 squad and the boys 4 x 100 team also have a chance of qualifying, said Friday Harbor coach Darrin Scheffer.
"I'm so proud of these kids," Scheffer said. "I'm pleased with their hard work and effort."
- June 1: Friday Harbor 2019 Bike Fest
- Bigger boat back - Chelan returns to San Juans Monday
- San Juan Island's Sheriff's Log May 8-14: Dog bite, borrowed electricity, and video of person breaking into Lopez Dump
- Friday Harbor HS Aerospace Team Invited to World Finals for International Space Settlement Design
- June 8: San Juan Island Garden Tour (Tickets go on sale May 25)