Friday Harbor girls basketball team’s bid to return to the Class 2B State Tournament fell just short against Auburn Adventist Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 at Sedro-Woolley High School: The Falcons snatched the Tri-District Tournament’s second and final state berth with a 55-50 overtime victory.
Photos by Matt Pranger
Auburn led most of the contest and were up 40-31 at the start of the fourth quarter. Friday Harbor held the Falcons to one point over the next four minutes and trimmed the lead to 42-40 on senior Leah Black’s three-pointer. The Wolverines drew even on Black’s steal and layup. At 2:12 Black drilled a trey to put Friday Harbor ahead 45-42.
The Falcons cut the lead to a point before the Wolverines lost senior Ava Hoffman to an injury with 1:26 left in the period. Black lifted the Wolverines’ spirits with her third three in about three minutes and Friday Harbor led 48-44 with less than a minute to go.
Friday Harbor lost another key player when senior Bailee Lambright fouled out with 36 seconds on the clock. The Falcons converted both free throws and after the Wolverines failed on a one-and-one, they tied the game. Friday Harbor put up a potential game-winner with a few seconds to go but it didn’t drop.
- Friday Harbor Wolverine Girls Basketball 2018/2019 season - scores, photos, articles
- PHOTOS ADDED: Friday Harbor girls oust Orcas, keep state hopes alive, Play at 11:30 Monday
- Friday Harbor girls beat Orcas Island 37-31
- Friday Harbor girls beat Darrington 57-15
- Friday Harbor girls lose a close one to Mount Vernon basketball team
- Friday Harbor girls crush Concrete 60-12
- Friday Harbor girls basketball team wins one loses one at Crush the Slush
- Friday Harbor girls basketball team beats Orcas 51-25
- Sultan girls beat Friday Harbor 42-31
- Coupeville beats Friday Harbor HS girls basketball team
- Friday Harbor teams fall on first day of Tip-Off Classic
- Blaine Borderites beat Friday Harbor Wolverine girls