Friday Harbor High School and Lopez Island High School golf teams competed April 26, 2018 at San Juan Golf Club. Wolverines 248; Lobos 258. Wolverine Coach Jack Rice sent in this recap.
Friday Harbor junior Chase Wilson putts during the Wolverines' victory over Lopez April 26. Matt Pranger photo
Tobin Arden from Lopez scored a 40 on the San Juan Course to lead all players as medalist. Dylan Posenjak, Friday Harbor and Reese Hamilton, Lopez tied for 2nd with a pair of 44’s. Freshman Ethan Havel had another personal best with a score of 48 and finished 4th. With the Lopez men finishing 1, 2 they won the bragging rights for the day with an 8 shot victory over the local squad.
The last time we played Lopez, 4 of their top Ladies all broke 50 and beat almost everyone on the wolverine team. For this team match I selected 6 players to go up against the Lopez squad. We pulled out a slim victory 248 to 258. A star golfer from Lopez, Nora Zapalac, got caught in one of San Juan’s famous 6 foot deep sand traps and found out how hard it is to escape. If it hadn’t been for that misfortune, the win would have been determined by the last putt.
When you’re a beginner golfer, the big challenge is to break 50 for the first time on a nine hole score. With a couple years experience, the next challenge is to break 40. The following is my evaluation of a few of the top players on our team.
Dylan Posenjak: shots 44 with two triples on 6 and 7. I watched him play the 7th hole and he drove the ball 40 yards from the green in one shot. He then shanked his second shot OB for a 2 shot penalty. If Dylan had pared those two holes he would have shot a 38.
Sean Chevalier: shot 53 with a 7 on 3 and a 9 on 9; that’s a triple and a quad. If he had bogeyed those two holes, he would be looking at a 47.
Ian Volk: shot a 53 with a 10 on 7 and a 9 on 8. He played seven great holes and let it slip away with two train wrecks. If he had bogeyed the last two holes, he would have finished with a 43.
Ethan Havel: shot 48, a person best. He made 7 on 1 and 7 on 9 both par fives. As golfers, we look at par 5’s as birdie holes. If Ethan had pared those two he would have shot 44.
Alen Malic: shot 62 with a 14 on 2 and 9 on 5. If he had pared those two holes he would have carded a 48.
Levi Doenges: shot 50 with 7 on 1 and 7 on 9. Again, both par fives; they should have been birdie holes. If he just pars them he shoots 46.
Weston Swirtz: shot 50 with a 10 on 9. He threw away 5 shots on one hole. He had a nice 45 looking right at him.
Chase Wilson: shot 51 with an 8 on 3 and 7 on 7. Let’s give Chase bogeys on those two holes and he shoots 46.
Peter Kulseth: shot 50 with a 6 on 6 and an 8 on 7. If he bogey’s those two holes he shoots 45.
I could continue through the entire team and the pattern continues.
So what does this tell us? Life and golf have a lot in common. When we make little mistakes, which we all do, it’s pretty easy to recover from them. When you make big mistakes it has a tendency to ruin your day and wreck your golf score. My challenge is to figure out how to stop making Big mistakes before we head off into our District Tournaments!
Friday Harbor Team 248
Lopez Team 258
Friday Harbor Boys 92
Lopez Boys 84
Match was played at the San Juan Golf Club
Friday Harbor Golf Team: The six players in bold * were the varsity for this match.
Dylan Posenjak 44 *
Ethan Havel 48 * 92
Peter Kulseth 50 *
Levi Doenges 50
Weston Swirtz 50
Chase Wilson 51
Aiden Shannon 52
Sean Chevalier 53 *
Ian Volk 53 * 248
Joe Kaden 59
Alen Melic 62 *
Isaac Brumsickle 66
Julian Brown 69
Bradley Bennett 70
Adam Bates 70
Tyler Fleming 71
Logan Border 72
Dante Prewitt 73
Lopez Golf Team Men
Tobin Arden 40
Reese Hamilton 44 84
Lopez Golf Team Women
Anah-Kate Drahn 52
Naomi Vliet 54
Nora Zapalac 68 258
- Lobos beat Wolverines April 30 on Lopez Island
- Results of May 3 Friday Harbor Invitational at San Juan Golf Club
- MVC golf team beats Friday Harbor 192 to 220
- Friday Harbor golf team beats La Conner at home
- Friday Harbor golfers get in some strategic practice during Spring Break
- Vikings beat Wolverines by three strokes
- Friday Harbor golf team beats Grace Academy
- Wolverine golfers beat LaConner Braves 187-233
- Friday Harbor beats Lummi Nation 130-89; plays Cedar Park March 28
- Wolverines beat Vikings in March 14 golf match 177-185
- Wolverines win first golf match of season 207-258
- 7 of 10 spots for hs state golf tourney captured by Lopez and Orcas players
- 3 Wolverines advance to golf Bi-Districts
- Mount Vernon dominates 5th Annual Friday Harbor Invitational - 2018
- Wolverines eke out win over Vikings in sudden death golf playoff April 24, 2018
- No match, but Wolverines hit the links anyway
- Lobos beat Wolverines 142-146 in match at Lopez Island Golf Course
- Friday Harbor Wolverines golf beats Orcas Vikings 258-264