Friday Harbor High School Golf Coach Jack Rice sent in this report on the incredible golf match between FH and Orcas Island High School on April 24, 2018.
The weather gods have finally turned in our favor; we had a beautiful day for golf on Orcas Island. The Orcas Golf Course was in the best condition we have seen it in years.
In all my years of coaching, I have never come up with a tie score in a match against another team. At the end of 9 holes, both teams had a final score of 256. It was decided by the coaches to have a one hole sudden death playoff with the top five kids from each team. Ten players teed it up on the 9th hole in the playoff to determine the winner of the days match. Friday Harbor was able to pull out the win with a team score of 24 to Orcas 25. It was great fun and pretty exciting for the 10 who got to play.
Orcas was kind enough to allow us to bring 14 players to the match. A team is made up of 6 or less players. Orcas only had 5, so we counter our low 5 lowest scores from the 6 I selected to play against them. My biggest dilemma each week, as Coach, is who to put into the top 6 positions. We have so many players all at about the same skill level that it turns into a tough weekly decision. A perfect example is what happened yesterday. Sean Chevalier was left out of the top 6 and carded a great score of 42; he was medalist for the match, beating all players! Sean is a senior who came to golf after the Lacrosse team disbanded earlier this year; he demonstrates natural athletic ability.
A couple other notable events, freshman, Ethan Havel had a personal best with 50. Two other freshmen made the trip, Lucas Wickman, 59 and Tyler Fleming, 60 both gained some great experience.
Orcas has a small team but they are very competitive. Maia Shunk came in second for the day with a fine score of 43. Her twin sister Zoey wasn’t far behind with a 53. Serei O’toole came in 4th with a 48, one shot behind Friday Harbor’s Senior Dylan Posenjak 47.
With the ferry schedule disruption, the team had four hours to fill while we waited for our ride back home. Because it was such a beautiful day we, voted to go up to Moran State Park and have an afternoon picnic. Opening day of trout season is just around the corner and I’m here to report there were a lot of fish or something splashing in the lake!
After getting some fuel back into the oven, we returned to the Course and broke into 3 teams and played a 9 hole scramble match against ourselves. The good news is that we got on the correct ferry this year and made it home just as the sun was setting.
On Thursday of this week our arch rival, Lopez, will be here at our home course. The last time we met at their home course, a few weeks ago, their entire Girls Team nearly beat every guy on our squad! Our goal is to turn that around on Thursday and we’re ready!
Friday Harbor 256 Playoff Score FH 24
Orcas 256 Playoff Score Orcas 25
Friday Harbor Golf Team
Dylan Posenjak 47
Peter Kulseth 63
Ethan Havel 50
Ian Volk 51
Alen Melic 53
Levi Doenges 55 Top 5 256
Sean Chevalier 42
Chase Wilson 54
Joe Kaden 55
Weston Swirtz 56
Julian Brown 57
Lucas Wickman 59
Tyler Fleming 60
Aiden Shannon 63
Orcas Golf Team
Leaf Gustafson 50
Maia Lewis Shunk 43
Serei O’Toole 48
Zoe Lewis Shunk 53
Joe Brown 62 Top 5 256
- Results of May 3 Friday Harbor Invitational at San Juan Golf Club
- Lobos beat Wolverines April 30 on Lopez Island
- MVC golf team beats Friday Harbor 192 to 220
- Friday Harbor golf team beats La Conner at home
- Friday Harbor golfers get in some strategic practice during Spring Break
- Vikings beat Wolverines by three strokes
- Friday Harbor golf team beats Grace Academy
- Friday Harbor beats Lummi Nation 130-89; plays Cedar Park March 28
- Wolverine golfers beat LaConner Braves 187-233
- Wolverines beat Vikings in March 14 golf match 177-185
- Wolverines win first golf match of season 207-258
- 7 of 10 spots for hs state golf tourney captured by Lopez and Orcas players
- 3 Wolverines advance to golf Bi-Districts
- Mount Vernon dominates 5th Annual Friday Harbor Invitational - 2018
- Wolverines under-shoot Lobos 248-258 April 26, 2018
- No match, but Wolverines hit the links anyway
- Lobos beat Wolverines 142-146 in match at Lopez Island Golf Course
- Friday Harbor Wolverines golf beats Orcas Vikings 258-264