Friday Harbor High School Golf Coach Jack Rice sent in this report on the 2018 1B/2B Boys League Championships Golf Tournament that took place Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at the Gallery Golf Club in Oak Harbor.
Wolverine golfer Ethan Havel
Dylan, Ethan and Peter will advance to the next level of competition at the Bi-District Tournament to be played on the same course next Thursday, May 17.
Tobin Arden from Lopez was medalist for the event with a fine 76. Tobin has won the tournament for the last two years. This is the second year in a row Dylan has finished in third place. For Dylan, this was just a practice round. The real competition is next week when a trip to the State Tournament is on the line. I expect him to play even better next week now that he has seen the course after not playing it for over a year.
Freshman Ethan Havel continues to improve. To finish in eight place as a freshman is quite an accomplishment. If he can hold it together next week, I expect him to make the trip to the State Tournament. The third member of the team to make it to biDistrict was Junior, Peter Kulseth with a 116. Peter can play much better and I wouldn’t be surprised to see an improvement of more than 16 shots next week.
First Alternate went to Sophomore, Weston Swirtz. If Weston is lucky enough to get into the field, he could surprise everyone with a much improved score.
The fifth and sixth players on the team had a tough day on the course. Ian Volk cut his hand on a flag stick on one of the opening holes. He had a little trouble hanging onto the club while the blood covered his grip. Senior, Sean Chevalier got every bad bounce you could imagine. As a first year player, making it to the District Tournament shows how much he improved in just two months. All six of the Friday Harbor players made me proud to be their Coach.
The Bi-District tournament will be held Thursday, May 17 at Oak Harbor. All three players that made the cut have their individual list of shots to work on. I’m going to go make reservations for a couple rooms at the State Tournament right now.
2018 1B/2B BOYS LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIPS GOLF TOURNAMENT
Wednesday May 9, 2018 WIAA District 1
Tobin Arden Lopez 38 38 76 34
Kyle Ekkelkamp MVC 44 43 86 29
Dylan Posenjak Friday Harbor 48 43 91 24
DJ Droog MVC 44 48 92 21
Max Hansen MVC 49 43 92 21
John Phifier MVC 48 48 96 18
Leif Gustafson Orcas 56 45 101 17
Ethan Havel Friday Harbor 49 54 103 16
Reese Hamilton Lopez 50 54 104 15
Serei O’Toole Orcas 52 55 107 14
Shane Maillaird MVC 60 49 109 13
Trenton McKinney Grace 56 60 116 11.5
Peter Kulseth Friday Harbor 61 55 116 11.5
Cabel Boon MVC 60 59 119 10
Chase Zachary Grace 58 62 120 9
Weston Swirtz Friday Harbor 65 62 127 8
Friday Harbor 68.5
Lummi Nation 7
- Lobos beat Wolverines April 30 on Lopez Island
- Results of May 3 Friday Harbor Invitational at San Juan Golf Club
- MVC golf team beats Friday Harbor 192 to 220
- Friday Harbor golf team beats La Conner at home
- Friday Harbor golfers get in some strategic practice during Spring Break
- Vikings beat Wolverines by three strokes
- Friday Harbor golf team beats Grace Academy
- Wolverine golfers beat LaConner Braves 187-233
- Friday Harbor beats Lummi Nation 130-89; plays Cedar Park March 28
- Wolverines beat Vikings in March 14 golf match 177-185
- Wolverines win first golf match of season 207-258
- 7 of 10 spots for hs state golf tourney captured by Lopez and Orcas players
- Mount Vernon dominates 5th Annual Friday Harbor Invitational - 2018
- Wolverines eke out win over Vikings in sudden death golf playoff April 24, 2018
- Wolverines under-shoot Lobos 248-258 April 26, 2018
- No match, but Wolverines hit the links anyway
- Lobos beat Wolverines 142-146 in match at Lopez Island Golf Course
- Friday Harbor Wolverines golf beats Orcas Vikings 258-264