Friday Harbor High School Golf Coach Jack Rice sent in this report on the 2018 1B/2B Boys Bi-District Championship Golf Tournament hosted by the Gallery Golf Club in Oak Harbor on Thursday May 17, 2018.
Congratulations go out to our small island League and District 1 as they captured seven of the top 10 spots for the State High School Golf Tournament. Orcas will be sending the Shunk twins from the girl’s team and Leif Gustafsen from the boys. Lopez made it a clean sweep, five ladies from their girl’s team and two boys will be headed to the State finals again this year. Mountain View Christian captured three of the coveted spots and both alternate positions.
So what happened to Friday Harbor? We were close. As I try to explain to my players there are probably 100 golfers in District 1 & 2 and only 10 get to go to the State Tournament. We have 20 guys on our team who wish they could have just made it to the Bi-District event.
Anyone who has played golf knows there are good days and there are bad days. It only takes one bad day in a single elimination event and you’re done for the season.
Dylan started out his the round with an easy par on the first hole. On number two he landed in the tall grass and by the time he holed out he was in double digits, 10. The wind was out of his sails and he spent the rest of the day trying to play catch up. As a senior, I know Dylan is disappointed he isn’t making the return trip to the State Tournament. I don’t think these players realized how difficult a task it is to make it to the big show at the end of the season. Dylan has had a great high school career and I’m proud to have been his Coach.
Freshman, Ethan Havel and Junior, Peter Kulseth both had great fun and gained a lot of experience getting to play in the biDistrict tournament. I heard things like: ‘Coach, that 90% air rule on trees, I’m not sure about that”. Peter told me he hasn’t seen so much cabbage in his life.
Ethan commented that he could see that he lost a shot on every hole just because of inexperience.
The good news is, we will be back next year, smarter and ready to play. As we were leaving the ferry late last night, they asked me what time practice will be tomorrow.
I said, “The regular time, we’re going to have a 3 club tournament to see how easy it is to make a bogie on every hole”. I love it; these guys don’t want to quit!
2018 1B/2B BOYS Bi-District CHAMPIONSHIP GOLF TOURNAMENT
Thursday May 17, 2018 WIAA District 1 & 2 Team Championship
Mount Vernon Christian 60
Friday Harbor 15
Grace Academy 15
Tobin Arden Lopez 79
Alex Weith Cross Point 80
Ethan Heyden Cross Point 82
Charlie Jones Cross Point 84
Leif Gustafson Orcas 86
Kyle Ekkelkemp MVC 90
DJ Droog MVC 94
Max Hansen MVC 95
Reese Hamilton Lopez 96
Trenton McKinney Grace 98
John Phifer MVC 99 First Alternate
Shane Mallaird MVC 100 Second Alternate
Dylan Posenjak Friday Harbor 101
Ethan Havel Friday Harbor 105
Coach Jack Rice
- Results of May 3 Friday Harbor Invitational at San Juan Golf Club
- Lobos beat Wolverines April 30 on Lopez Island
- MVC golf team beats Friday Harbor 192 to 220
- Friday Harbor golf team beats La Conner at home
- Friday Harbor golfers get in some strategic practice during Spring Break
- Vikings beat Wolverines by three strokes
- Friday Harbor golf team beats Grace Academy
- Friday Harbor beats Lummi Nation 130-89; plays Cedar Park March 28
- Wolverine golfers beat LaConner Braves 187-233
- Wolverines beat Vikings in March 14 golf match 177-185
- Wolverines win first golf match of season 207-258
- 3 Wolverines advance to golf Bi-Districts
- Mount Vernon dominates 5th Annual Friday Harbor Invitational - 2018
- Wolverines under-shoot Lobos 248-258 April 26, 2018
- Wolverines eke out win over Vikings in sudden death golf playoff April 24, 2018
- No match, but Wolverines hit the links anyway
- Lobos beat Wolverines 142-146 in match at Lopez Island Golf Course
- Friday Harbor Wolverines golf beats Orcas Vikings 258-264