Friday Harbor junior Marshall Clark dumped in 25 points as the Wolverines ousted Oroville 51-32 in a Class 2B State Regional contest Friday, Feb. 23 at Wenatchee High School. The Wolverines advance in the Hardwood Classic and next face Morton-White Pass in a loser-out game at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 28 in Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.
“I’m happy for our guys,” said Friday Harbor coach Rod Turnbull. “They have worked really hard and have grown this season. They’re a good group of kids.”
The Wolverines (15-8) built an 11-point lead against Oroville (14-10) in the second quarter but the Hornets closed within 31-25 at the end of the third quarter. The Wolverines slammed the door on the Hornets in the final five minutes though, outscoring them 18-4.
“We played pretty good defense and went inside in the second half,” Turnbull said. “We finally got some movement from our offense and that helped.”
Clark led all scorers with his 25. “Marshall hit some shots but also the other kids were doing their stuff to get him open,” Turnbull said.
Lucas Chevalier contributed 10 points for the Wolverines and Isaac Mayer pitched in 8. Friday Harbor’s other scorers were: Kyle Mapstead 3, Rio Black 2, Ty Anderson 2 and Chase Wilson 1.
Morton-White Pass (20-6) entered regionals ranked fifth but No. 4-ranked Adna (22-2) shaved the Timberwolves 51-50 in a seeding contest at W.F. West High School in Chehalis Saturday. The regional-qualifying teams with the best eight best RPI ranking (http://wiaa.com/DirRPIz14.
If the 13th-ranked Wolverines knock out the Timberwolves, they are guaranteed games on Thursday, March 1 and Friday, March 2. The winner of the Friday Harbor and Morton-White Pass contest will face Liberty (Spangle) at 7:15 p.m. Thursday. The Lancers (21-3) entered regional play ranked sixth but trimmed third-ranked Toledo 45-42. (See Boys Class 2B State Tournament Bracket) http://wiaa.com/ardisplay.
Friday Harbor brings a 10-game win streak to Spokane but the Wolverines will be facing a battle-tested team. Morton-White Pass placed third in the Central 2B League with a 13-3. Toledo (21-5) won the conference with a 15-1 record. Adna finished one game back at 14-2.
- Friday Harbor boys oust Oroville, advance in state tourney
- FHHS Boys Basketball Team looks to punch their ticket to State in Wenatchee
- State basketball tournament: Friday Harbor boys vs. Oroville, girls vs. Tri-Cities Prep
- Friday Harbor boys surge to victory in Bi-District championship
- Friday Harbor boys roll past La Conner, secure regional state berth
- Friday Harbor hosts La Conner in first round of Bi-District Tuesday
- Wolverines ready for playoffs
- Feb. 13: Wolverine boys basketball first playoff game at Friday Harbor
- Wolverine boys basketball team by the numbers and links to slideshows
- Wolverine boys basketball beat Lions 55-37
- Lynden Christian beats Friday Harbor boys