Friday Harbor finished among the top eight fast-pitch softball teams in Class 2B after a loss to eventual fourth-place finisher Chewelah in a state quarterfinal Saturday, May 25. The Wolverines won two games and lost two games at the state tourney in Yakima. They finished the 2019 season 20-6.
File photo of Wolverine Thea Seitz
The Wolverines opened the 16-team, double-elimination state tournament with a late rally that fell short in an 11-7 loss to Liberty (15-8) Friday, May 24. The Lancers scored seven runs in the fourth inning to build an 8-1 lead in the first-round game. Friday Harbor cut the lead to 9-7 in the bottom of the sixth but the Lancers added two more runs in the seventh.
Liz Cruz singled, doubled and drove in a run for the Wolverines. Ava Hoffman and Fallon Taylor tallied two hits apiece.
Friday Harbor secured a second day of play after the Wolverine offense scored five runs in the bottom of the sixth inning against Dayton/Waitsburg (18-5). D-W put the tying and winning runs on-base with one out in the top of the seventh but the Wolverine defense stemmed the rally for a 10-9 victory.
File photo of Bailee Lambright
Bailee Lambright singled in the winning run and started the rally-ending double-play in the seventh. Thea Seitz smacked two doubles, scored three runs and had an RBI. Hoffman rapped three base hits and drove in two runs. Jayna Ott singled twice and had two RBI. Darcy Ayers hit a pair of singles.
Marcella Kirkland recorded the win after relieving starter Siri Lindstrom with one out in the sixth. Kirkland didn’t allow a run or walk and gave up two hits.
Friday Harbor clobbered Colfax 13-2 in five innings to advance to top-eight play Saturday, May 25. Cruz singled three times, scored twice and drove in two runs against the Bulldogs (21-5). Hoffman connected for three hits and had two RBI. Lambright hit safely twice, scored twice and worked a walk. Bristol Halverson ripped two singles and drove in a run.
Grace Pauls earned the win against the Bulldogs (21-5). In two and two-thirds innings, she gave up no hits, walked two and allowed two earned runs. Lindstrom walked one and allowed one hit in relief.
Chewelah (18-9) scored two runs in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings in eliminating Friday Harbor 7-2.
Seitz cracked a triple for the Wolverines. Lambright and Cruz each doubled. Ayers hit two singles.
The Cougars pounded Liberty 12-3 in the consolation semifinal before falling 8-3 to Northwest Christian School (23-4) in the final.
- Friday Harbor comes back late; remains alive in fastpitch state tourney
- Friday Harbor Rally falls short in state fastpitch opener
- Friday Harbor fastpitch beats La Conner 20-2
- Friday Harbor fastpitch team overpowers Orcas Island, completes league play unbeaten
- Wolverines win fastpitch game by forfeit
- Friday Harbor takes fastpitch twin bill from Darrington
- Friday Harbor sweeps fastpitch doubleheader at La Conner, captures league crown
- Wolverine fastpitch squad twice shuts out Lions
- Friday Harbor surges past Orcas Island
- Wolverine fastpitch team tops Loggers
- Friday Harbor blasts Ferndale in fastpitch
- Mounties fastpitch squad beats Wolverines twice
- Friday Harbor fastpitch squad clobbers Mariner
- Friday Harbor ball teams open season with victories